PDA

View Full Version : Hi Patti!

musicallovebird
09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
My name is Rose and I am an aspiring urban farmer who just bought a home in southern California. I moved here from a rural area in Arizona about 12 years ago and until recently had given up on trying to grow any of my own food. My best friend turned me on to your website and I've since developed some new passions including buying locally grown food and trying to grow as much of my own food as possible. I just built my first raised bed and am going to start planting tomorrow--very exciting! I suppose I will have challenges to post later on down the road... Until my own plants bear fruits, I am extremely blessed to have year round farmers markets almost every day of the week here and have begun doing the majority of my shopping there.

Thank you for your excellent resources and inspiration! :o

gardengirl72
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey Musical,

Southern California, wow I wish I had that climate. Well thank you for signing up. I can't wait to here how your first raised bed goes for you, please let us all know, take some pics and share them!

If you have questions, be sure to post them, because you are probably not alone and it might help someone else later.

All the Best-

Backyard Permaculture
09-09-2008, 01:40 PM
It does freeze here, but something can grow almost year round

AbbeyLehman
09-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Welcome Rose!! I'm looking forward to watching your journey--I haven't been long on this path (I have 2 beds built so far, but have a whole huge plan ready!) and it's exciting.....and expensive for everything I want!! LOL

musicallovebird
09-23-2008, 06:53 PM
I finally have some pics of my containers (I posted them on my profile) and will post more as things develop and grow.

I went to an organic gardening class last weekend and got a wealth of excellent info there. I'm taking my first crack at saving some heirloom tomato seeds and found out from the instructor that we can grow tomatoes through the end of November here! I planted some in my first box about three weeks ago that already had small green fruits on them and have since read that the variety I planted may not like being grown in a container. So we'll see if they make it...

It's an exciting journey :) Thanks for the welcomes!

gardengirl72
09-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I love that Southern California style in your pics. It reminds me of a garden that influenced me owned by my friend Michele in a Beverly adjacent neighborhood of La Cienega Blvd.

Awsome I can't wait to see follow ups to this.

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 03:24 AM
I LOVE your pics! I am very excited to see how your plants do! Do you have any updated photos so we can see the additional progress made? I like to "watch" other people's gardens grow...I'm in Ohio, so I'll have to live vicariously through you with the tomatoes....