09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
When I need things and all my bartering sources have dried up-

Brookline Farmers Market
JP Farmers Market
Trader Joes in Brookline

That's me.

ecogirl
11-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Are you a fan of markets? That's a great way! Much more cheaper! Shopping locally can save you petrol and money! But the thing is I dont live in the countryside so markets are quite far away!:(

MoniDew
11-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Our markets "dry up" around the beginning of October, so this time of the year, I'm stuck with only the supermarket. YUCK!

quiltygirl
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
We are truly blessed to have an extended growing season, so therefore the Farmer's Markets have stuff year 'round

gardengirl72
12-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I am now a member of the Boston Public Market!

ecogirl
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
sweet! That's great news! Good job patti;)

nandmsmom
12-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Patti, congrats on the Boston Public Market. Thankfully they are starting to add more farmer's markets here, but right now its still a bit of a hike for me. We get our meat from a local slaughterhouse. I'm trying to grow the lion's share of our veggies and fruits. Next year my neighbor and I will be getting chickens. I can't wait!

JudyH
12-07-2008, 05:57 PM
There is a market here in the spring and summer -- it closes in the fall/winter. I've never been to it before. It's on my list of things to do LOL We do have a "flea" market that has a stand with fresh fruit and veggies. Unfortunately, these people are just re-sellers and do not actually grow the stuff themselves. So, it's really no telling where it's coming from :eek:

We have a "Fresh Market" type grocery store. They have a pretty good bit of organic produce and some other organic foods. But still, all of this is trucked in.

My other place to shop is SuperTarget -- they have more organic produce and other foods than anywhere else.

I wish there was a place to shop and buy from small, local growers...

gardengirl72
12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Check with your local Farmers association. Usually, they can tell you where to go. If they don't have a farmer's market in your area, ask them to start one. CSA's are also becoming more common.

HomesteadBaker
12-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I am now a member of the Boston Public Market!

Is this it?? Sounds awesome!

http://bostonpublicmarket.org/

gardengirl72
12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Yes it is.

carmin
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I have been selling handmade soaps in one of the Little Falls farmer's markets. We actually have two in town. I used to be a board member of the other one but the one I changed to two years ago is two blocks from my house. I decided to stop selling soaps because they are organic and the ingredients have gone through the roof. I hope by this year, my berries will be producing enough so I can be the Berry Girl. The previous Berry Guy retired to a nursing home so I have no competition. We are open from when it gets to above freezing until it drops below freezing. We are lucky because a shop owner lets us use her property for free so our fees are only $3.00 or $4.00 for the two days a week we are open. (Us old timers pay the lower rate since we have been here longer.) Regardless of the rate that is a huge bargain. I used to sell in Minneapolis and the charges were extremely high. We may sell less but we are better off here.

ecogirl
01-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I have been selling handmade soaps in one of the Little Falls farmer's markets. We actually have two in town. I used to be a board member of the other one but the one I changed to two years ago is two blocks....

How do you make handmade soaps?