PDA

View Full Version : I will be shooting with Mel Bartholemew!

gardengirl72
10-23-2008, 10:00 PM
The end of November, Mel and little me will shoot new videos together here in Boston! A huge honor to work with the inventor of Square Foot Gardening.

So excited......

plantoneonme
10-23-2008, 11:33 PM
OMG!!! I love Mel and am so happy to know you will both be working together. I started my very first garden in the early 80's after watching Mel on PBS. I fashioned my new garden this year utilizing his planting methods. I only wish I could afford to make his famous mix though. I am composting, composting, composting so I can make the healthiest soil I can right now. I was fortunate this spring to find a family owned greenhouse operation that sold me a 4 cu ft bag of vermiculite for my bed which did help with some of the soil problems I was having. I also found ground corncobs that I bed our guinea pig on helps loosen up the soil as well. Give Mel a big hug from me. Kim

Sinfonian
10-24-2008, 12:55 AM
OMG WOW! What an honor, for you both! You have done more to keep his method thriving than most of his seminars I'm sure, so it's a win win for both of you! But quick, run out and throw in some grids made out of twine to not make him mad at you! hehe.

Naw, just show him pics of my beds, they're in nice little squares to make him happy... all except my tomatoes which are not twigs running up a trellis, hehe. I get it, I really do, I have no space, but enough to grow full-size tomato plants... hehe.

Sorry, I've had one too many SFG discussions. I'm 90% SFG, that's something, isn't it?

Mel rocks, good work snagging him for your videos! Can't wait to see your combined work!

gardengirl72
10-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Working with Mel is almost too much to take! It is a bummer that it will be winter, but we should be able to do something.

We are going to work on ways to re introduce the old PBS shows, and add in some new content. What do you think?

plantoneonme
10-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Working with Mel is almost too much to take! It is a bummer that it will be winter, but we should be able to do something.

We are going to work on ways to re introduce the old PBS shows, and add in some new content. What do you think?

I think with his original show and your new innovations it would make a great PBS show. You could add to his old show so much showing your chicken and rabbit tractors in the city. He could add things like collecting water, extending the growing season with hoops and your skylights and so on. I would love to see him add beds with long term plants such as asparagus and also small fruits for the homestead...many of us do not have room for trees.

Since it will be winter one of the first shows could be about starting your own plants from seeds like you did on your porch. Of course he could also introduce Winter Sowing with Trudi's permission for those of us who could not start such a large planting area.

I would also love to see ideas on keeping the costs down. My entire gardening budget needs to be kept to a minimum and be able to feed 6 adults and 1 child (so far).

Oh, I think this would be so exciting...just make sure I can get the new show in Metro Detroit!

Kim

Sinfonian
10-27-2008, 10:30 AM
That would be great Patti. I've never seen his shows but I've heard from many whou had and are still gardening. If the content is reshot it'll be all new to this generation.

I'll then have to call my local PBS station to get them to carry it. It'll cost me but would be worth it.

PJJ
10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Way to go Patti!! This is so AWESOME!! I can't wait to see what the two of you do together!! ;)

herb girl
10-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Speaking as one who has never seen him on TV, I think it will be quite interesting. I love his books but never saw the PBS series and I think there will be many "new" people who will be interested in "meeting" him.

Cynthia
11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Congrats! I know this will be fun and informative. Wish I could be a little fly on the wall....