PDA

View Full Version : My tractors

Mikeeeeeeeeee
10-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I currently have two tractors. One is designed to fit into my beds that I am building now ( based on Patti's ideas) I carried the theme a little farther with making a two story, where they can go up at night and roost and have nest boxes. The front opens and the back side of the top opens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/no1likhim/Chicks/100_8667-1.jpg

Then I have my "mini-tractor". It is being used right now as a brooder.
I can also sit it inside a bed of I want, but it is much smaller, measuring 3' wide x 5' long..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/no1likhim/Chicks/100_8689.jpg

Here are my 3 week old RIR chicks in there now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/no1likhim/Chicks/100_8751.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/no1likhim/Chicks/100_8750.jpg

Sinfonian
10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Very cool and functional! I knew tons of folks must have taken Patti's chicken tractor video and made them. I just don't know many folks with chickens so it's great to see them in action!

Thank you for sharing and your chicks are beautiful.

Fred's Fine Fowl
10-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I like the double decker look...

How will you re-arrange your nest box for the birds when they reach maturity?

Nice to see innovations in chicken tractor design... thank you for sharing!

Mikeeeeeeeeee
10-25-2008, 09:33 PM
I like the double decker look...

How will you re-arrange your nest box for the birds when they reach maturity?

Nice to see innovations in chicken tractor design... thank you for sharing!

I shouldnt have to.
I think one of the pullets is getting ready to lay. The next box had been severely rearranged today when I got home. All the hay scratched up into a nice little donut.

BTW........I love your website Fred.

gardengirl72
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Nicely Done Mikeeeeee! I love your design. The birds look very happy!

RogueAPBT
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Nice work, Mike! Love the designs!

Cheryl

gardengirl72
10-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I love the the metal roofs too! Very nice.

herb girl
10-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I must say, I am very impressed. I love the idea of letting them roost up higher.
Good job.

gardengirl72
10-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Mikeeee, looking at the rest of that area around the outdoor tractor it looks like a great place to start mass composting. If they're are landscapers or tree people around try get them to start dumping chips and leaves there. It will make a great garden in a very short time.

Mikeeeeeeeeee
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Mikeeee, looking at the rest of that area around the outdoor tractor it looks like a great place to start mass composting. If they're are landscapers or tree people around try get them to start dumping chips and leaves there. It will make a great garden in a very short time.

Patti........
Already started with that!
I have all the lumber cut for 5 raised beds ( 4x8) and will knock them together in a week or so. Then I will install the tractor in one and begin the individual bed process.
I also have tons of leaves in my woods.
I also have planted winter rye on all bare dirt.
The area you see is where the field lines for my septic run.
I basically have 5 acres of solid woods except for the house, drive, and that area in the picture.

gardengirl72
10-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Mike,

Great, think about adding in a greenhouse in that area. A trick about greenhouses I know about is to go onto your local Craigs list or Freecycle etc and look for trampolines people are trying to get rid of. The round frame is perfect for making a very nice hoophouse, for next to nothing! You probably only need to find three or four of them. Lay down six inches of gravel (if you can find it cheap) for a year in advance for that way it compacts before you put in a three foot knee wall.

I am dying to figure out a full greenhouse here and that is the best, lo cost option I have found.

Mikeeeeeeeeee
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Mike,

Great, think about adding in a greenhouse in that area. A trick about greenhouses I know about is to go onto your local Craigs list or Freecycle etc and look for trampolines people are trying to get rid of. The round frame is perfect for making a very nice hoophouse, for next to nothing! You probably only need to find three or four of them. Lay down six inches of gravel (if you can find it cheap) for a year in advance for that way it compacts before you put in a three foot knee wall.

I am dying to figure out a full greenhouse here and that is the best, lo cost option I have found.

Awesome idea...............