PDA

View Full Version : What's growing/happening/ready in your garden now?

maricybele
10-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Wondering and curious as to what people plant and when. Especially for the four season gardeners.

October 25th Beaverton OR:
My egg plants, peppers and tomatoes are still under plastic cover to extend season and get the last of those veggies. I have been pulling out my squash and cucumbers as they die off. My peppers are in pots for overwintering inside.

The cabbage are almost ready for harvest, I am finally seeing some brussell sprout.In mini greenhouses waiting for clear bed space are my lettuce plants, more kale, chicory (radicchio), onions,burdock.I just planted my first cardoon.

Harvesting: kale, swiss chard, beets, carrots, green onions, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, tomatillos, still a few cucumber. pumpkin squash, acorn squash,

Sinfonian
10-25-2008, 02:11 AM
I have been planting carrots for a while. I planted lettuce in September and again in October, but it's growing very slowly. I planted spinach in August and it's ready to harvest. Same with the radishes. I planted cauliflower about the same time and it's doing ok after I killed whatever was eating it. I planted my peas late and they're only about 8 inches tall and not close to producing. I hope they mature.

I think that's all I'm growing, besides some cukes that may still grow more. I covered everything about two weeks ago, right before the first frost. Let's hope it allows me to 4 season garden. hehe

maricybele
10-25-2008, 05:24 AM
I hope yours does well under cover, do you have any seedlings waiting to go in the ground?

My neighbor has the same lettuce we planted together and hers is much bigger than mine in the glass coldframe, she made hers out of an old shower door, I still have yet to find one. So I did the lazy thing and put a clear plastic bag over my lettuce. Hopefully that will get it a little warmer to grow bigger, I may have to transplant them to the cold frame, we shall see.

Chat soon.

Sinfonian
10-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Call me adventureous, call me lazy, but I direct sow. I don't have room for a light setup and thus my seedlings always get way too leggy, so I don't start inside anymore.

Good luck with your coldframe.

plantoneonme
10-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I cleaned up most everything before my surgery but left in some radish and lettuces. Will make a nice little salad for dinner tonight. I planted my garlic for next year so will see how that goes. Otherwise just eating all the tomatoes I picked green as they ripen. So depressing to have had to pull things out so early this year. Next year I will make a few hoops and get things going early in the spring.

Now that I am finally not having so much pain from the surgery I have begun taking a few short walks in the neighborhood. I think later I am going to pull around my granddaughters little red wagon to my neighbor lady to see if she has a few more apple drops to pick up....gotta be careful not to overdo though.

Kim

gardengirl72
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I have Siamese Dragon Stir fry going in two beds, three beds of Corn Salad, or the french name I can't spell.

I still have a few Tomato's ripening slowly on the vine. My Culinary herb beds are going really well.

All of these veggies are doing extremely well under cover(the lettuce is slow though).

Cynthia
10-31-2008, 07:14 PM
I have some cherry tomatoes still on the vine - sun golds will go forever it seems. Broccoli and cabbage are growing. I have one last harvest of beans to pick this weekend. I still have some serranos ripening. I also have a yakun (I hope that is how you spell it) kind of a citrus tasting jicama root - probably not at all related to jicama.

new lettuces, kale, chard, and carrots all still very small. Garlic planting #1 is about 4 inches tall and the next two varieties will go in the ground tomorrow. I have had a bad cold and got behind on everything.

I have some strawberry crowns to plant and some asparagus on order but it won't arrive for a little while yet.

onions will go in the ground in late november.

Also - here is the real excitement - I am adding 3 more raised beds to the garden!

plantoneonme
11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I had pretty much put the garden to bed before my surgery but today I was able to pick a nice salad of lettuce and other mixed greens, chives, oregano, basil (that lives inside now) and radishes. I still have tomatoes ripening daily that we picked a month ago and added some of those as well. Looks like the tomatoes may last until Thanksgiving.

Kim

JudyH
11-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I have lots of different varieties of lettuce growing (I love salads!). It's almost time to replant some of the spots where I am growing the romaine. I also have mustard greens, turnip greens, broccoli raab, and radish growing. In one bed I have a late planting of snap beans that I'm harvesting still. There are carrots planted in several spots too.

We've had a couple of cooler nights but we haven't gotten down to freezing quite yet, so that is good. I've only had to cover the garden once because of a forecasted frost.

gardengirl72
11-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Siamese Dragon is doing great, and I just planted a bunch of delicious Corn Salad lettuce which is sprouting now!

Cynthia
11-17-2008, 08:25 AM
We had our first freeze on Saturday night and it hit hard. The tomatoes and beans are dead, and it is such a different landscape to talk around the yard and not see flowers in bloom.

I took a photo of the last tomatoes and beans of the season, and I will post that photo as soon as I can remember how to resize my photos.

I also had the garden enlarged by 20' and I would like to post that too - For a woman with a bad cold, a lot has been happening around here :)

battythe bantam
11-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I have tomatoes,green beans,pole and bush,broccolli,lots of different types of lettuce,sweet corn,spinach,carrots,green onions,and several kinds of herbs, which are almost ready for harvesting

gardengirl72
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey batty, where do you live again? I wish I had that kind of productivity right now myself.

maricybele
12-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Middle of snow ice storm for days.

Pulled all tomatoes 1st week in December. Killing frost.

December 19 th - lettuce, onions, cabbage, carrots, kale, parsley, kholrabi, brocolli, chard, beets, leeks, still strong under the snow, no cover. brussell sprouts look a little floppy, I will see if they come back to life.

My cold frames from plastic blew all over the place, so I just covered my beds and put stuff on top. Next year I will do better, build them more permanant. I didn't glue the frames or use rebar to hold the posts even though I had it. Bricks might have helped keep the plastic from blowing.

I am overwintering some peppers and eggplants, indoors, and getting lots of unique little mini flies and a little waspy thing in the room. I stripped the leaves and gave em a garlic soap bath, I guess they need another.

HomesteadBaker
12-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow, y'all! I am sooooooo jealous! ;) I don't have anything in the ground right now, just snow ON the ground! Having just moved back here a few months ago, I have been buried in trying to get other things done... but I get to start seeds soon!

Sinfonian
12-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, before the snow hit, I had lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots, peas, green onions and cauliflower growing under covers. But with temps droping below 15 degrees of late, I'm not sure if they're surviving. I will head out there tomorrow and check. I hope their still good.

maricybele
12-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok, this week Sunday and Monday we are due to get ice and lots of it. I will let you know if anything survives outside. It's been averaging about 27 degrees which is rare for Portland Metro for long periods of time.

Just pulled some green onions and parsley out of the snow for some egg salad and they were fine. My green onions are eithrt Egyptian onions or Shallot greens.

Would love to know whats going sucessfully in the cold frames now in dead of winter and snow for those of you gardening in cold frames.

Chat soon garden friends....

JudyH
12-21-2008, 09:58 AM
I still have alot of veggies growing in the garden here on the Gulf Coast. We're expecting a freeze tomorrow early morning for a couple of hours though... so we'll have to cover the garden up late this afternoon. But most of my veggies are pretty cold hardy (maybe not freeze hardy though). Here's some of the things I have growing:

several varieties of lettuce
collard greens
snow peas
peas
mustard greens
turnip greens
broccoli raab
kohlrabi (1st time to grow!)
radish
garlic
green onions
parsley
beets
carrots
cabbage
brussel sprouts (1st time to grow!)

But keep in mind that my coldest weather will not start until January/February.... then by March it is usually gone and Spring has started for us. It's been warm enough in the past that I've actually planted green beans in March! But then, one March we had snow:eek:... so you never know from week to week what the weather is going to bring LOL

shebear
12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
We finally had a freeze that did the garden in. I had swiss chard, lettuce, mustard greens, peas and spinach growing. I could have covered them but frankly I'm ready to take a break. The summers are so hot that I spend so much time watering both my home garden and the community garden that I'm gardened out.

The onions, garlic and cabbage are still going strong so it's not completely empty out there.

Starting January 1, I start seeds indoors and start putting out winter sowing bottles so I'll still be playing in the dirt.

plantoneonme
12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
We had a big thaw here a couple days ago and I wandered (or should I say the wind blew me) to the garden to bring in some potted bulbs...I was delighted to see some greens I planted in the fall that were still green and edible. I wish I remembered what I planted but did not expect anything to survive. I plan on letting some go to seed in the spring and saving them for next fall. I plan on extending the growing season next year and I know these should do great with a little protection. I also managed to chip out a few carrots I missed harvesting which I cooked for dinner.

Kim

kitsapFG
12-31-2008, 10:31 PM
We have had a particularly cold and snow/ice filled winter so far (at least for our area). However, despite that my winter garden is still providing lots for the table. Here's what's "on" as of December 31, 2008:

Leeks
Kale
Parsnips
Carrots
Swiss Chard
Brussel Sprouts

The overwintering spinach is almost ready for first harvest (growing under a grow tunnel cover) and in our unheated greenhouse I just planted out some transplants of kale, chinese cabbage, and some lettuces. All of these will be coming online in about February which is when everything else that overwinters starts fading fast and yet it is too early for any of the new spring crops.

maricybele
01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
We were below freezing for about 2 weeks with snow and ice in December 2008. We had about a foot of snow during that time.

The rock red cabbage looked even better than before the storm
radish looks better than ever
brussel sprouts survived
some brocolli made it
the mazuma mustard looked great
all radicihio made it
Some beets made it
covered spinach survived
all carrots did fine
all parsley made it
Cilantro was a surprise. It was still lovely and tasted great
All shallots looked fine
All Egyptian/top set onions did great
My garlic sprouted and is looking strong
Leeks are good
celery good
burdock looks better than before snow
statice flower survived
carnation survived
some covered swiss chard made it

I was disappointed that much of my pointed cabbage had damage that were supposed to be cold hardy the seed package showed them in the snow
Some rhubarb Swiss chard died
most lettuce died
all marigolds died

With cilantro survival being a huge surprise, I am going to have to figure a way to have it growing all year round. Anyone have any luck with cilantro year round in zone 8a? When do you sow?

Backyard Permaculture
01-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I am also in zone 8a, SE corner of Arizona, 1 1/2 hours north of the border with Mexico.

Cilantro is a cool weather, or I guess as youi have proven it, a cold hardy crop. To grow it in the late spring/summer/early fall you might try growing it under a heavy shade cloth.

Something you can recycle to use as a shade cloth is a damaged Trampoline mat. Check with your local trampoline stores, especially one that does mat repair and replacement and ask for mats that are damaged beyond repair and that they are going to throw out.

They work great. I have noticed, sometimes in the Arizona sun, the grass will grow greener under a trampoline

Ron

kinnisoj
01-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Right now their is a bumper crop of ice. Mostly I seem to grow the Coloradansnowflakeius form or as the kids call it the "future snow ball" variety. Its mostly of the white bloom but if you look hard you can find the pale yellow bloom, the bright yellow bloom and the dark brown bloom.
After watching the news I see we expect 4"-8" more of the bloom on Sunday which does not please the wife one bit. She is terribly sensitive to the effect of the "pollen" given off by the Coloradansnowfakeius. This send her into slight chills that can only be stopped by one of only 3 ways. 1. Long hot bats with the Egyption herbal oil called Calgon. 2. Hours of standing in front of the pellet stove watching "Antique road show" ( I perfer it when she dosnt use this one). 0r, 3. Having me cook dinner followed up with a hour long wrestle mainia with the dish washer and other cleaning tools....she likes that one the most.
I cant wait for spring....

Kevin
01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi Guys, Im down here in zone 9b, Wer'e pretty busy right now . A good part of our citrus is all ripening at this time(Tangerines ,greatfruit ,navels ,sour oranges) Got to get ready to put up marmalade ,juice, sherbet and moho. The new peaches have already set fruit , and the mangoes are blooming like crasy. If it doesn't freeze in the next 2weeks we'll have a great crop. As far as vegetables go. We are harvesting our baby spinach and cut and come again lettuce varieties. Collards turnips carrots are doing well . we have 3 varieties of heirloom tomatoes producing fruit . And this year I have 6 varieties of onions planted and doing well .three of these are top setting varieties. I am bound and determined to find at least one variety that can tolerate our summer heat . (to early to tell yet).