PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the Inland Empire

quiltygirl
10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi, I'm a new veggie gardener (pretty unsuccessful this first year) Inland of LA and Orange Counties where it is hot, hot, hot, & dry. Although our soil drains well as it is sandy. We have 2 horses, 2 goats, 5 dogs, 2 cats, one bunny, 2 parakeets, 4 humans in the house (although are teenagers so the human part is debatable), a family of 3 in our 5th wheel trailer and a single woman in her trailer all living on our property.

I love to quilt, but my DH doesn't like the noise, so I started spending more time outside in the garden. In the summer (april - october) it is usually too hot mid day, so I can be caught in my nitegown watering or fertilizing at 5:30-6 in the AM or 9 PM!

gardengirl72
10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Welcome Quilty. You have quite the homestead going! I can't wait to hear more about your projects and adventures.

Sinfonian
10-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Welcome! Wow I'm interested to see how your garden grows in that arid heat. Does growing in partial shade help? I bet your fall garden would do well. Enjoy your garden!

herb girl
10-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow, I'm trying to imagine this october heat your talking about while I'm looking out at gale force winds and 49 degrees here today!

Welcome to the club!

maricybele
10-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Quilty would love to see some of your past quilt work.
How hot is hot? What zone are you in?
I am an evening waterer for the most part.

Look forward to your adventures.

RedStateGreen
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome! I used to live in San Bernardino and successfully gardened there for over ten years.

If you consider summer your "dead time", I've found you get a lot more accomplished. It's way too dry and hot to garden then anyways.

Give a holler if you need help with something. :)

plantoneonme
11-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry made me laugh but your homestead reminds me of a hippy compound. Now to get them all together to get a good garden goind to produce some food. I would think that with the cooler weather now would be a better time to plant....you certainly have enough animals to help ammend that soil of yours. Welcome to the site. Kim