PDA

View Full Version : Go out and play... Allie from Nova Scotia

goplayallie
10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I am not actual from Nova Scotia I am traveling and have been here for about 8 months... checking out the green scene. It is very grassroots here! Originally from and own property on Vancouver Island.

I have been easing our family of 4 into Urban Homesteading... not even knowing so. We will be adding rabbits to our garden, then I think a duck. I have read that you can get a breed that is a heavy egg producer. Anyway,

my motto is : Go out and play... everyday!

Allie

P.S Thanks the the embedding code for Youtube video's and Adsense... I am a preacher of Multiple Streams of Income.:cool:

Sinfonian
10-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Welcome Allie! I bet Nova Scotia is really different from Vancouver. So you're from my neck of the woods. Glad to see it. You haven't missed much weather wise being away for the last 8 months. Not a great garden year I understand.

Welcome!

gardengirl72
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Welcome Allie! Nice to have you here, and enjoy the income from the videos!

herb girl
10-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Welcome Allie,

We want to add rabbits next year as well. And I agree, everyone needs to
get outside everyday and play a little!

plantoneonme
11-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I think a pet duck would be fun but I heard they usually only produce in early spring and then stop laying...still would be a cute pet though. Kim

Fred's Fine Fowl
11-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Hi, I was just scanning through and noticed the "duck" discussion, so, had to drop in...

If you'd like to keep ducks and have them for egg production, they can compete and often out produce various breeds of chickens.

Just like the chickens, there are breeds, which are better producers than others. It all comes down to what your personal wants/needs are...

Here, I raise and breed the black and white magpie ducks and have had experience with several pure breeds. For example, the magpie ducks average 220-290 eggs per year. They begin laying very early in the season and continue right through the fall and into winter if conditions are right.

IF your goal is to have a breed of duck exclusively for it's laying potential, then hands down, the choice should be a Campbell... Khaki Campbell specifically... they are wonderful foragers... will eat all the slugs, snails and other critters they can find. Annnd, I believe they have the all time record for highest egg production in all the kingdom of ducks.... up to 340 eggs in ONE YEAR...

Bottom line is, some people don't like duck eggs... people ask for them for cooking specific dishes..

There are also bantam "call" ducks.. tiny and cute, but don't get those for eggs... the calls produce, if you're lucky, around 75 eggs per year...

Want to know more about ducks, ask away! I love poultry!!!!

plantoneonme
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi, I was just scanning through and noticed the "duck" discussion, so, had to drop in...

If you'd like to keep ducks and have them for egg production, they can compete and often out produce various breeds of chickens.

Just like the chickens, there are breeds, which are better producers than others. It all comes down to what your personal wants/needs are...

Here, I raise and breed the black and white magpie ducks and have had experience with several pure breeds. For example, the magpie ducks average 220-290 eggs per year. They begin laying very early in the season and continue right through the fall and into winter if conditions are right.

IF your goal is to have a breed of duck exclusively for it's laying potential, then hands down, the choice should be a Campbell... Khaki Campbell specifically... they are wonderful foragers... will eat all the slugs, snails and other critters they can find. Annnd, I believe they have the all time record for highest egg production in all the kingdom of ducks.... up to 340 eggs in ONE YEAR...

Bottom line is, some people don't like duck eggs... people ask for them for cooking specific dishes..

There are also bantam "call" ducks.. tiny and cute, but don't get those for eggs... the calls produce, if you're lucky, around 75 eggs per year...

Want to know more about ducks, ask away! I love poultry!!!!

Thanks again for your information Fred. I don't know what type of ducks my grandparents had but they usually only laid eggs in the spring. But then again they raised them for meat so maybe by letting them hatch and grow up the ducks laid much less. Kim