PDA

View Full Version : It has begun.........

Mikeeeeeeeeee
11-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I knocked together my 1st raised bed today.
4x8 x 11 1/2" tall. I have to cut inside bracing for the corners and I will slip the large tractor over in it and begin the soil building process.
I have two wonderful bantams in that tractor and will soon replace those with a trio of Rhode Island Reds.

I have enough lumber given to me from a contractor to build 4 more beds.
Free.
I like free.
Free is good.

This spring I will have 5 nice beds ready to plant. I cant wait.:D

plantoneonme
11-01-2008, 02:53 PM
That is great. Now is a really good time to find things to fill space in the bottom of the beds to save having to purchase a lot of soil next spring. I started a new bed and tossed in all the plants I pulled up such as cornstalks, tomato plants, etc. I took long handled pruning shears and chopped them up into smaller pieces and then sprinkled with a little bit of already done compost that was full of worms. I also had my husband dump in the recent grass/leave clippings. I'll top all this off next spring with about 6 " of soil and plant things like melons that like the heat from compost and think it will work out great. My best melons I had this year was a volunteer from the compost pile. Kim

Cynthia
11-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Congratulations on your new beds!!!

Sinfonian
11-01-2008, 07:14 PM
That's great that you took the plunge. Now you can work on the soil and plan for next spring. Also take thr time to read some good books. I did last year.

Mikeeeeeeeeee
11-01-2008, 07:21 PM
That is great. Now is a really good time to find things to fill space in the bottom of the beds to save having to purchase a lot of soil next spring. I started a new bed and tossed in all the plants I pulled up such as cornstalks, tomato plants, etc. I took long handled pruning shears and chopped them up into smaller pieces and then sprinkled with a little bit of already done compost that was full of worms. I also had my husband dump in the recent grass/leave clippings. I'll top all this off next spring with about 6 " of soil and plant things like melons that like the heat from compost and think it will work out great. My best melons I had this year was a volunteer from the compost pile. Kim

I have 8 bales of hay left over from the hayride last night.
Guess where they are going?

gardengirl72
11-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Hay rides are my favorites!

Garden Green
11-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Nice! Good to have raised beds and plenty of amendments to go with them. What do you plan on planting?

Mikeeeeeeeeee
11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Nice! Good to have raised beds and plenty of amendments to go with them. What do you plan on planting?

One bed will be totally given over to the classic " 3 Sisters Garden".
One bed will be tomatoes and peppers.
One will be green beans early / crowder peas later.
one will be Assorted with carrots, cabbage etc.

Mikeeeeeeeeee
11-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Hay rides are my favorites!

I wore my Indiana Jones hat and coat, and drove the tractor.
It was a hoot.

Garden Green
11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Great! Looking forward to seeing some shots of the beds when you get it all situated.

gardengirl72
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Mike don't forget lettuce! It is super easy and of course delicious!