PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Minnesota

carmin
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
I am originally from Puerto Rico but have been living in Minnesota for 21 years. Almost three years ago, I moved from the metro area to Little Falls, MN. My city lot is a third of an acre. I have been removing the lawn. I have planted more than a dozen fruit trees, numerous types of berries and other fruits, vegetables and native plants. Right now, I am trying to see if I can make it to the next planting season with what I harvested this year, plus some basics like rice. I am also trying to grow tropical fruits and vegetables. (Yes, I take them inside during the cold season, which in Minnesota is at least seven months a year.) I found this web site, which I love, a few weeks ago. I am amazed at all the great information. It is helpful for me in my quest to become as self sufficient as possible. I am happy with the progress so far. My only issue is that the guy from zoning told me I can not have chickens unless I keep them inside the main house??? I have a separate building in my lot but he says that won't do. He sent me all the zoning laws (about 200 pages) and I can't find a single regulation saying that. You go figure! Nice to be here.

gardengirl72
11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome Carmin. Another on from PR, how cool is that. I ignore my local zoning code and just have chickens, I involve the schools, neighbors, everybody. I just don't mention the law and I eat roosters.

Sinfonian
11-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Welcome Carmin! Brrr. Just hearing where you're from makes me cold. I bet it's snowing there already. Hehe I work for a bank based there, but just don't make me go there in the winter.

Glad to see that you're well on your way to making it through the winter on what you harvested already. That's quite an accomplishment.

Sorry to hear about you and your chicken issue. Unfortunately asking your zoning folks was your first mistake. I would have asked to see the regs and made my own determination, which you already did... finding nothing to say you can't have chickens. Then when they complained (never) you could point to their policies and say you had every right. Now you've heard their take on the rules and you wouldn't comply. Unfortunately now you have to be defiant. Still worth it for all the eggs and chicken dinners (if you eat them).

Good luck and let us know what you're doing during the winter (either greenhouse gardening or planning for spring). Welcome!

plantoneonme
11-06-2008, 11:02 PM
You could probably get away with keep hens in a chicken tractor on your lot. It is the roosters that will get you in trouble with neighbors complaining. Worst thing that could happen is you get caught and have to eat them. Of course you could always raise rabbits for meat instead. Kim

carmin
11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the welcoming messages. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. This is National Novel Writing Month and I have to write a 50,000 word novel before the end of the month. There is nothing in the zoning laws that prevent me from having the chickens, I only called zoning because some of my neighbors were not happy when I began removing the lawn and replacing it with natives and vegetables, so I knew they would complain. I had called City Hall before I began changing my landscape and was given permission, so I was allowed to continue. I actually called two days after I moved here during the middle of a huge snow storm. The chickens will be coming next spring. I have to figure out how to keep them from turning into icicles without bringing them indoors. Here in Little Falls it can get to 30 below (5 times last year) and the snow can really pack the yard. Today, we had the first light snow of the year and so far it has been rather warm. (Warm for Minnesota that is.)

Garden Green
11-12-2008, 12:18 AM
30 below. How in the world do you live in weather such as that?!