PDA

View Full Version : Richman

Richman
11-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello from Richman,

I live on the eastern plains of Colorado in a small town.

My wife and I raise a garden and chickens and we do alot of canning.

We get things like peaches, mulberries, apricots, sand plums and more from the local neighbors and have syurps jellies etc from them.

I also get wheat straight from the farmers field and grind it course for cereal etc and fine for bread flour.

We feed our chickens all or our scraps and some from others and compost after that. We also collect spills from grain trucks etc to feed chickens.

We make butter, sour cream and some different cheese's from cream we have purchased from a health food store.
We are trying to find someone who milks goats or cows becuse I am not in a position to do it myself at this time.
That would be so wonderful to have fresh home raised milk to drink and cream to work with.

We are looking closely at solar and wind power generation for our home.
I looked at some of your links the other day and was very excited about what I learned.
Looking forward to learning alot from like minded people.

Richman & Sherry

Garden Green
11-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I think its great that you make your own butter and cream. I lived on a farm as a child so I remember making butter (yep, I was cheap labor!) and cream from our Jersey cow. You just can't beat the flavor, thats for sure.

I've never ground my own grains down, what all do you make?

gardengirl72
11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Welcome guys! Please share you what you know and how you do it here! Thank you so much for signing up and I can't wait to read your posts!

Sinfonian
11-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Wow, I can see why you don't have time to milk a goat or cow. You put my busy lifestyle to shame! Welcome and I can't wait to learn from you!

plantoneonme
11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Sounds like you both have so much to share on this forum. What a great way to get feed for your chickens by cleaning up after the trucks. I remember when I was a child that we would go out the farmer's fields and glean things the tractors missed such as corn, beans etc. It really helped out with feeding the animals and people. Kim