PDA

View Full Version : Here is my first Canning Video!

gardengirl72
11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey everybody, here is my first canning video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLm4Y2TC68E

This Jelly came out so good it isn't even funny!

plantoneonme
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Looks very yummy!

You could get the jelly into the jars easier with a wide mouth funnel made just for canning. It keeps the top clean and there are no spillsl..at least like I used to get.

Tell me more about the juicer. Is it only good for soft fruit or can it be used for other things? Kim

Garden Green
11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Great vid, Patti! Jelly looks really yummy.

herb girl
11-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Excellent video Patti,

I'm always encouraging people to try making jam/jelly as it is so easy and rewarding.

I never thought of growing grapes in a raised bed, great idea-can the roots reach deeper than the box? I was thinking grapes would need a lot of "root room".

The victorio strainer Patti was using can be used for all kinds of fruits. We mostly use ours for making applesauce and tomato sauce. It comes with different sized screens for removing pulp and seeds.

I never saw anyone use one to make jam before. Good idea-easier than cooking down and straining with cheese cloth.

You really do need a ladle and funnel to help with the jarring process though, easier and less mess......:)

BTW, love the tee shirt!

PS Also wanted to say that you can buy "low sugar - no sugar" (your boxes looked like the traditional kind) boxes of pectin and use raw sugar or honey in any amount.

I have noticed that if you cut down dramatically on sweetner, your jelly won't last as long in the fridge and go moldy more quickly. But in our house hold of four kids that is rarely a problem. :)

gardengirl72
11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
You all are so right about the funnel. I have one, I just couldn't find it before the shoot. I am pretty sure it was no sugar pectin. I have to tell you, this was the most delicious stuff ever!

In terms of roots, I find grapes are fine in containers. I add a lot of compost in the spring every year, and compost tea water once a month. I plant new fruits every year to keep my life sweet!

Sinfonian
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I posted on YouTube, but I thought I'd post here to. What a great combo! I would love to try it. Of course we don't grow grapes though after seeing how well your climbers turned out, I would love to try. I rememeber seeing the video when you planted them. I thought it took years for grapes, but yours looked amazing.

Anyway, all I've ever known was home made jams and jellies. Blackberry jelly and strawberry jam are my favorites, though nobody grows strawberries so we haven't had it for a while. Plum jelly from our tree out back is good too. We go through about 2 pints a month for our family of 4, and my folks eat it too, so we make tons! Thank goodness for the blackberry bramble out back!

I just used a dollar store funnel to can my salsa. I'm really loving canning, though I hated it growing up. This year my brother and I did tons of pickles and several pints of salsa. Unlike you though, nobody in my family has a pressure canner. If it can't be water bathed, we don't can it. Someday we may splurge on a pressure canner, depending on what we grow to put up next year. We shall see.

Anyway, love the video as always! And the brick work in the kitchen, I guess I hadn't noticed it before. Very nice!

gardengirl72
11-09-2008, 04:59 PM
You should definitely grow grapes. They are delightful. It is hard to stash enough of anything in my house to make jelly with too! Thanks for the youtube post as well!