PDA

View Full Version : Preserved Basil

Garden Green
11-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Preserved Basil

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup olive oil

1 Puree two cups of fresh packed basil leaves in the food processor.

2 Slowly add one half cup olive oil until the mixture has the consistency of a smooth paste.

3 Pour the puree into plastic ice cube trays.

4 It's best to have a special tray just for herbs, because the remaining flavor will then get into your ice cubes.

5 Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until solid.

6 Store cubes, double-bagged, in the freezer and add to soups and sauces for an instant flavor boost.

7 Herbal pastes and pestos are highly concentrated, so use sparingly.

plantoneonme
11-06-2008, 07:39 AM
I didn't know you could freeze oil and usually just do my herbs in water. Whenever I want to use them, I simply toss a cube into whatever I am cooking. It is a great way to get the fresh taste of herbs in the winter months and so easy to do. I also didn't think to puree but just chop mine up fine.

Kim

Garden Green
11-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I think the idea is that the oil mixes with the basil and the moisture in the basil which allows it to freeze. Water would work just as well and would probably be preferable to oil in some cases. But I think here we get into easier freezer damage because it is just water. How long do you keep your preserved herbs in the water?

plantoneonme
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I keep mine until I either run out or am able to pick more. I keep my cubes in a foodsaver bag and vacuum out all the air so maybe that keeps them fresh longer. Kim

Garden Green
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh, I love my food saver! It would definitely keep it from getting damaged much longer with it just being in water in the bags. But for those of us without the food saver, there is always this recipe. :)