PDA

View Full Version : Patti, how long does it take

plantoneonme
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Just curious, how long does it take for you to make the average video? You make it look so easy but I know it must take a great deal of time from filming to editing etc. Kim

gardengirl72
11-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks for asking Kim. It takes forever and is way harder than I thought it would be. Here is the behind the scenes of my process:

1. I first try to decide on what to actually do as the seasons turn. So for example last month I shot:

a. How to carve a pumpkin.
b. How to make pumpkin soup.
c. How to test soil, by eye and with a kit(teamed up with Mark Highland)
d. How to make compost tea, and why it works
e. Planting another winter garden
f. My new indoor/winter garden (redo of my sunporch from the indoor gardening series)
g. How to set up a worm bin

Last month I edited about 1/3 of what was shot in September, and that is what is on Urbansustainableliving.com right now, I probably wont get to edit what was shot in October until December.

It takes a day to shoot something and one full day to edit the subject. But I also have to do the project successfully on my own before I try and replicate it on camera, which is usually a day as well.

I hope to rush the soil stuff out for this month though to show on Fine Gardening and Organic Gardening magazines websites so, we shall see. I hope that makes it clearer.

herb girl
11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow, very interesting.
Did you know how to do all this before you started urban homesteading ?
Just wondering how it all started.........

And do you collaborate with people on subjects and such or are you a one woman producer/actress (well not acting but couldn't think of the proper word)
and editor?

gardengirl72
11-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Lorian, I was a film producer first. I started homesteading in 1997 and began shooting in 2006. It am a one woman show, but I video coming out with Mark Highland on soil in the next few days. He was great, and I will be shooting with Mel from Square Foot Gardening early next month.

And the Proper word is "Presenter"(I think =) ). I do most of the editing, which is why it takes sooooo long. The who is Patti video on www.gardengirltv.com (http://www.gardengirltv.com) home page tells a bit more about me as well.

Sinfonian
11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Ahhh... and it's shown on YouTube, with all the one-shot wonders out there.

You have the patience of Jobe Patti! I couldn't do what you do. I'm nowhere near the perfectionist it must take.

But the end products are so worth it! Thank you.

gardengirl72
11-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks Rich, it means a lot. Great article in the Ezine btw. Thank you!