PDA

View Full Version : Your pond

functionalcraft
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Patti,

Love the videos! And your pond is amazing. I was wondering approximately how big it was (width & length) I read the depth was 3' at the deepest. Also did you use a Bobcat to dig? We are planning a pond and are trying to factor in small children, Texas heat, how deep to dig so fish don't cook, gas lines, tree roots, etc. But is wonderful to see someone doing these project. Kudos!

Kirsten

gardengirl72
09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Kirsten,

Well, I grabbed a crew of guys that were digging up the street outside my house. I asked them to come over when they were done, and gave a few hundred bucks in cash to dig my pond.

It is mostly a circle with a radius of about 25 feet. Do not over crowd it with fish, I recommend about 10 gallons per fish. Do to the heat, I would make sure my pond was 3 feet deep, but more importantly I would make sure I have lots of plants fully established in the pond, lillys, oxygenating plants like hornwort and of course Duck weed. The plants will keep the water shady, cool and healthy.

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 03:06 AM
Wow, I wish there was something I could do about the drainage stream behind our house. It fills up fast with every rain--too much rain and it ends up the yard. It actually belongs to the city, I think--I wonder if there was something I could petition the city for and maybe involve a few neighbors? Be a good way to build relationships for now and for just in case....

gardengirl72
09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Let me see a pic of the stream. I used to have flooding problems here, that I cured with gravel.

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Let me see a pic of the stream. I used to have flooding problems here, that I cured with gravel.

Will take a pic tomorrow, when it's light out.

gardengirl72
09-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I found a cool product that may solve your drainage problems. Peach Pits. I will let you know more about it soon as I get some more details.

AbbeyLehman
09-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I posted the pics in an album--click on my username....

rdsaltpower
11-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Patti, I just watched your video on the raised bed pond . The pump could be run off your solar panels for free. The pump power supply is probably 110v ac or 12v dc. You could do either, 12v from battery direct to the pump, or if the pump plugs into a 110v wall socket use a small 12v to 110v converter. They are fairly cheap. Many pond pumps that the catalogs sell come w/ a small solar panel for a power supply. Just an idea.

gardengirl72
11-15-2008, 06:22 PM
I know, Saltpower, I know. Its on my list I swear.