PDA

View Full Version : When to add worms to beds with fresh chicken manure?

PJJ
11-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering when we should add worms to our raised beds? We currently have one raised bed with a chicken tractor and chickens on it. We just put the chickens on the bed a couple of weeks ago.

We are building our soil by layering chicken manure, grass clippings, leaves, straw, hay, shredded paper, and the pine shavings from our brooder. I'm afraid the manure may be too hot for the worms since it's fresh. Should we let the bed sit with black plastic over it for a period of time before we add worms? It seems to me like that would be the best thing to do but I really don't know. We are building another bed this weekend so we can move the chickens and tractor when we need to.

We actually have two tractors but one of them in on the ground. We have our chicks that I hatched out in my incubator in that one. Hopefully, they will be going on a bed soon.

Penny

gardengirl72
11-08-2008, 09:40 AM
After you move the tractor, throw a wee bit of soil or compost in the bed to start seeding the bacteria. Let the rain get to it as well. Then put the worms in the center of the bed.

If you have harsh winters, wait until next spring to toss them in. Sounds like you may have to build some more garden beds quick to support those birds. Let us know what happens Penny.

PJJ
11-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info Patti!! YEP! We need more beds! We have only had the chickens on this bed for a couple of weeks. We've been moving them around the yard for quite some time now. I'd rather keep them on raised beds though. We will make more as we can afford the lumber. I'm hoping to find some on freecycle during the winter months. Keep you fingers crossed for me.:)

Penny

gardengirl72
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Fingers are crossed!