PDA

View Full Version : Tomato soup is in season!

Ani
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
At least in NJ anyway. This is what I made for dinner last night:

3 pints of cherry tomatoes - halved
1 large onion - chopped
6 cloves of garlic
1 celery stalk
extra virgin olive oil
1 t. salt

1 T. cane sugar
dill to taste
filtered water

Spread some olive oil in a pan, add the top set of ingredients down to the salt and roast ~1h at 350 until it smells wonderful. Add some dill which should instantly wilt with the heat. Puree in a food processor, add the sugar. Check the seasoning and add a little water to get good consistency. mmmm.

gardengirl72
09-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Ani you are so right, it is tomato soup time. I made gaspacho(sp?) this weekend in between putting up eight quarts of pasta sauce. Thank you for the recipe.

Sounds so tasty. I am going to make that in video soon!

Ani
09-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Woo! My recipe in a video? I'm going to be famous!

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 02:58 AM
OHHH, I'm SO jealous! Seriously, that's exciting! The recipe sounds great, too. I'd like to try it and adapt it to cooking over a woodfire. I want to add a fire pit to our backyard--one of the few things I can put on top of the unused back half of our driveway--and this would be a great summer dish that isn't hot dogs & marshmallows!

**thinking** hmm......

Cynthia
09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I made a really simple tomato soup yesterday - just tomato, onion, garlic, basil.
but then I also made a little fresh pesto: basil, garlic oliver oil & salt and stirred a spoonful into each bowl of soup - it was really pretty and really delicious.

gardengirl72
09-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I love good, fresh, simple food. I hate when stuff is crowded with too many flavors. Nice.

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey Ani,

I'm going to try your recipe tomorrow!! Yay! I will take pictures and post reviews....Very excited!

Ani
09-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Oh great, let me know how you like it! I do actually have some pics of that recipe I need to pull of the camera. The veggies in the roasting pan were so pretty I hardly wanted to puree it!

Ani
09-09-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm sure you know this but I wanted to add that all the measurements should be to taste, since every batch of tomatoes is different!

AbbeyLehman
09-09-2008, 01:51 AM
I would have changed *something* anyway--I am terrible about actually following a recipe :)

plantoneonme
09-11-2008, 07:56 AM
I don't have cherry tomatoes but have plenty of others. I think this is going to be lunch today. Thanks for the recipe. Kim

plantoneonme
09-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Ani,

I made this soup today and it is heavenly.

Only problem for me was it didn't make enough. I plan on making at least 4 x's this next time.

Thanks for the wonderful tasting and easy recipe. Kim

Ani
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Glad you liked it :) Yeah this quantity is dinner for DH & I, but doesn't leave leftovers. I usually make more if we'll be around to eat it up over the rest of the week.

plantoneonme
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Have you ever tried to can this recipe? I was hoping I could make up a nice big batch and then water bath can this. Anyone know if this is a safe way to can this soup? Kim

Ani
09-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Not yet but I plan to. I just picked up some more lids. I don't know about water bath canning, but you can pressure can most soups - meat and vegetable based ones that exclude rice, milk, flour or thickening agents, so something like a vegetable puree is fine.

I'm going to do a little more googling, but most vegetable soups seem to be 10lbs of pressure for 75 minutes.

If anyone has more info though that would be great. This will be my first time not following a recipe.

ETA: looks like you'll have to leave out the oil - will post the info I found in a bit

gardengirl72
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
You know what canning is super easy. That time and pressure sounds like a bit of over kill considering how acidic tomatoes are. But I always say, better safe than sorry. What is the issue with the oil?

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 04:13 AM
I am SO going to have to plant more tomato plants next year. I didn't have nearly enough production in our butchered summer to make soup from my tomatoes!

Sounds tasty though. Thanks for sharing!