Garden Green
11-13-2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.ecomii.com/specialreport/chemicals-in-newborns

Get. Me. Off. This. Planet. :mad:

MoniDew
11-13-2008, 08:24 AM
oh, wow!!!!!!!!!

That is terrifying!

You know, I remember all those National Geographic/NOVA, (whatever) specials about global warming and finding pesticide residues and industrial waste in the polar ice caps causing the ice to recede and no place for the polar bears to live, finding them in baby seal blubber (fat), etc. I guess I didn't stop to think that if it is that ubiquitous, they would find them now in human amniotic fluid! YIKES!!!!!!

Maybe I thought they would find household cleaning supplies used by the women who didn't know about natural methods of cleaning house. Or their own personal grooming supplies, if they weren't using natural. In other words, their exposure would be limited to whatever they were personally using. But toxic pollution has gone global and has invaded even the most intimate of sanctuaries.

I guess I just really wanted to keep my head in the sand about this. Thanks for the wake up call!!!

MoniDew
11-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Look what else I just found, on the same topic!

Apparently, in the places in the world with the most pollution, more baby girls are being born than baby boys - by a significant percentage! Most chemicals are estrogen imitators, thus suppresssing testosterone. Eventually, they postulate, we could run out of men!

http://wholelifetimes.com/2008/02/healthyliving0802.html

Garden Green
11-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Wait a minute. A world without men? Hmm... is that so bad? :D
My husband is at this very moment making me pay for that statement, maybe I shouldn't blame the entire gender, hmm?

I don't think that we wanna go to a society where men have three wives so we can perpetuate our species (that is sarcasm before I get in trouble).

On a more serious note, thankfully the green movement has started. We may still have a long way to go, but its out there now and its gaining momentum everyday. Hopefully we'll see a reversal of this effect soon. I don't know if that is just wishful thinking on my part or not.

gardengirl72
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
That is freaky. Running out of men is too:).

Sinfonian
11-16-2008, 09:13 PM
And to think, I bet the mothers were cautious with chemicals. Scary thought indeed.

As for running out of men, all I can say is I did my part by fathering two boys (like I had any say in the matter, we wanted one of each, hehe). Oh, and I'm teaching them to garden and recycle. Hehe it's cool to hear my 4 year old tell me he found a can in our yard, can he put it in the recycling bin please?

MoniDew
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
aaaaaaaaahhhh! That's adorable! Wish they could just stay 4, huh?