PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Veggie Garden in Atlanta, GA

KalenaPlants
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello everyone! I'm 26 and I'm starting a veggie garden. Much like GardenGirl, I am also in the film industry. Working in such a high stress environment, coupled with making wrong decisions in my eating habits, especially when under pressure, resulted in weight gain and hypertension. Lately, I have been learning to slow down, take breaks, and think about the things I eat. Out of the curiosity on how to change to a healthier and greener lifestyle, I came across this website a few months ago and I haven't looked back.
My mother and I have already started our compost pile. We have plenty of space in our backyard, so we are planning our raised bed garden for the spring. A couple of colleagues here in Atlanta have backyard gardens along with their urban beehives and one of them is seriously considering a chicken coop. When I met them, I thought they were crazy. Now, it's starting to make sense.
I'm excited about getting to know other members and learning more and more how to have an organic and sustainable lifestyle. Thank you, Patti, for not only sparking my curiosity, but for inspiring me to make a positive change in my life and the life of my family and friends!

rdsaltpower
11-14-2008, 09:31 PM
You have found a great place to follow up on you ideas. And from your post you are wanting to do the same things we are interested in. This summer I had my first backyard garden and am considering a bee hive. Sustainability is a wonderful thing in this day and time. Welcome!:)

gardengirl72
11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome Kalena, it is nice to have some more Film Industry folks around as well. Gardens are so relaxing after film shoots. Can't wait to see you garden as well.

Ask questions and share what you know. Thanks again.

KalenaPlants
11-15-2008, 12:03 AM
YAY! I'm very excited. I'm sure as I keep researching and going about my days in the garden, I will have more questions. Thanks again!:D

Sinfonian
11-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome Kalena! Great to hear that you've taken the plunge and started toward self sufficiency and eating right. I'm still working on the last one myself.

Enjoy your garden!

MoniDew
11-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm new here too, but glad to meet you and looking forward to getting to know you and the others here, too.

plantoneonme
11-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Gald to have you in the group. I too am battling a weight issue but with fresh fruit and veggies and the yard work I managed to lost about 30 pounds this year. Kim

Cynthia
11-17-2008, 11:18 PM
glad you are here

KalenaPlants
11-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Gald to have you in the group. I too am battling a weight issue but with fresh fruit and veggies and the yard work I managed to lost about 30 pounds this year. Kim

That's amazing and inspiring! This evening, I went to a meeting at the local library to learn about composting. It was hosted by my county's extension office. There was even a representative there from the county's environment conservation office. Though it was an extremely boring powerpoint presentation, I did manage to ask some questions and learned a few things. It was great because it was tailored to my particular community. So far so good!

KalenaPlants
11-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Welcome Kalena, it is nice to have some more Film Industry folks around as well. Gardens are so relaxing after film shoots. Can't wait to see you garden as well.

Ask questions and share what you know. Thanks again.

I am about to work on another feature in a couple of weeks. As you know, it gets time consuming. This means less time I'll get to spend in the garden once it gets going. I live in hardiness zone 7b here in the "A". I can start planting things as early as March, but I know I'll be deep in the film trenches. I could be busy for weeks a time without much of a break to just do things at home. What do you do when you have to work on a film and are pressed for time to make sure that your garden is properly taken care of?

birthblessed
07-19-2009, 10:53 AM
We are considering moving to ATL in the next year, maybe 6 mos. I'd like to live in the ITP. I've been looking around Grants Park.

In Austin, I have backyard chickens in a tractor and some raised beds. Gardening here is just murderous. I get very little edible from my garden, honestly. It's very difficult and frustrating. The chickens aren't laying yet and I suspect it's often too hot for them. We've had 33 days of 100+ temps this summer. They are spring chicks so I didn't expect them to lay until late July or August anyway, but man it's hot. I have to check them many times a day because their water just disappears.

I'd love to hear about where the folks live that have chickens, gardens, beehives. Would I be able to do that in the ITP?

gardengirl72
07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Welcome Amy! Fred is our poultry expert so ask away!

KalenaPlants
07-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi there! I apologize for responding to this thread so late. Grant park is a beautiful place to live. It's close to I-20 and about 5-7 minutes from downtown Atlanta. Many people in that neighborhood have small homesteads with veggie and fruit gardens, chicken coops, and bees. If you haven't already, check out the Grant Park neighborhood website (http://grantpark.org/net/content/news.aspx?s=0.0.35.20) as well as other nearby neighborhoods such as Poncey Highlands, (http://www.ponceyhighland.com/) who recently opened their new organic community garden, Kirkwood (http://www.historic-kirkwood.com/location.html), and East Atlanta (http://eaca.net/).

These are a few of the Atlanta neighborhoods that are homestead friendly. I myself have a small veggie garden in College Park, GA. You can check it out here when you get a chance. God bless and enjoy your move!:)