PDA

View Full Version : More Dirty Tricks, buying patents from competitors.

MoniDew
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I think this is a dirty trick, too. Buying patents from competitors to keep their products off the market.

Monsanto has done this by buying the patents for the genes (?!) of seed crops. They then lock all that bio-diversity up in a vault, select only 2 or 3 species to genetically engineer, and release those few, cornering the market on the food supply and keeping tens of thousands of available plant species from being grown. This tactic has bankrupted many small farmers because they have inadvertantly violated Monsanto et al's ownership of the patents - so Monsanto (et al) SUE these poor sustanence farmers! A side-effect has been damaging of the natural genetics of wild species by cross pollenation with their genetically engineered species. This outrages me!

Another example is all the automobile engines, etc, that have ever been developed to get 60-100 miles per gallon, run on alternative fuels, (whatever) being bought by the major automobile manufacturers, or big oil companies and kept off the market. We could have solved the "oil crisis" DECADES AGO, but because of this tactic, we are now in our current situation. I'm outraged, again!

Should companies be able to purchase the patents of their competitors in order to keep their product off the market - to their own advantage, and the disadvantage of the rest of us? What do you think?