PDA

View Full Version : Careful if you use cypress mulch

plantoneonme
11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
I was pretty angry when I was at the doctor's office today reading the Adubon magazine. They had an article on how the cypress swamps of Louisiana are being lost at a significant rate due to them being cut down as whole trees and being turned into the mulch many of us use in our gardens. I bought several bags myself last year from Lowe's. Luckily, the article stated that WalMart and Lowe's refuse to purchase cypress mulch made from Louisiana cypress but Home Depot seemed to purchase more than ever....guess where I won't shop anymore!

I haven't had time to read the whole thing but here is a website referred to in the article. http://saveourcypress.org/

Kim

Garden Green
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Well, I'm right there with you. I like Lowe's better anyway. Being from Louisiana, I'd miss those Cypress trees!

gardengirl72
11-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I had no idea about this. Is this a southern thing I wonder?

plantoneonme
11-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I had no idea about this. Is this a southern thing I wonder?

The trees are from the south but the mulch is sold throughout the US. Because places like Home Depot still sell the mulch from the LA swamps I simply will not buy from them. I usually purchase "broken bags" of mulch from Lowes at 1/2 price and was very pleased to hear I didn't help in anyway destroy the swamps.

Kim