PDA

View Full Version : Thoughtful Thanksgiving?

MoniDew
11-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Would anybody like to contribute recipes for a Thoughtful Thanksgiving? I'd love to collect some new ones. I think most of mine were based in an era when we didn't give any thought toward protecting the environment or our health. So, I have a lot to learn! Please help.

plantoneonme
11-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I am trying more and more to support those who grow locally. I was planning on ordering an organic turkey from a family about 20 miles from me but was lucky enough to be given one from work (although I am sure full of nasties, our budget is critically low at present so it truly is a gift) but have planned on doing so next year for sure. My SIL loves the green bean casserole and I froze plenty of beans to make it for him this year. I purchased some cranberries grown in MI as well as MI grown potatoes. I make my own stuffing by cubing up different types of bread products throughout the year and storing in a large cereal saver (tupperware)....I cube up the butt ends of bread, left over cornbread, rolls, buns etc. The pumpkin pie will be made from one we had from Halloween that we did not carve. (picked at an area upick farm)

Anyway our dinner is going to be simple...
turkey
mashed potatoes
gravy
cranberries
green bean casserole
roasted home grown carrots (the end of my carrots)
rolls
pumpkin pie

FYI for those with smaller families...you can ask your meat department to cut the frozen turkey in half and freeze each half seperately. That way you won't have so many leftovers everyone gets sick of eating turkey. I have done this many times in the past as for us turkey is such a treat to eat. We prefer to chicken and even make a small turkey meal at least once a month. Once home I have often used an electric knife to remove the wing and leg to freeze seperately. Great base for turkey broth which can be used for soup or thickened into gravy. I then remove the meat from the wing and leg and put some in the soup and save some to make homemade turkey potpie or turkey ala king.

Kim

MoniDew
11-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Wonderful suggestions! Especially about cutting in half/cutting up a turkey. I never would have thought of that! (although I had thought of only getting a breast instead of a whole bird. But I dismissed that as I am a huge dark meat fan. I need bird thighs!)

we are down to just hubs, one son, and I. Everyone else is dispersing elsewhere, so I was planning just a small celebration too. And yes, our budget sucks right now, too. It's been a rough year all the way around.

Your suggestions are spot-on! Thanks again.

Garden Green
11-21-2008, 07:25 PM
We bought local. It's just a huge bird and the poor thing probably won't last more than a couple of days after Thanksgiving. I detest stuffing in the cavity of large birds and as such we put fresh herbs from the kitchen window herb garden in the cavity with a couple of sliced apples (from a local farm) to add flavor (the stuffing is made in a cast iron skillet instead). This is after the turkey takes a swim for about 6 hours in a vegetable broth (I sooo wish I had time to make the broth from scratch) and ice water brine in a large closed container.

Locally grown potatoes for mashed potatoes.

Canned green beans my father sent me for my birthday out of his garden (I saved the last jar just for this!). My husband is allergic to mushrooms so instead of green bean casserole I make green beans with cashews (from the local fresh market) and bacon in a honey (from a local bee keeper) teriyaki sauce.

Fried corn made from locally grown corn.

Lots and lots of greens. I don't know what kind yet, but I know we're gonna have them! A local market will be open the day before Thanksgiving for the last time this season.

Corn bread and yeast rolls.

Cranberry orange dipping sauce.

Turkey gravy.

We usually have both turkey and ham with chutney but this year we aren't having any guests so its just the family and one very very big bird. We'll do the ham at Christmas at my mother-in-laws instead.

I'm thankful I could get what I could locally instead of having to go to the grocery store for everything. I don't feel that we're doing everything we can do but we're moving in the right direction!

MoniDew
11-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I think that's absolutely fantastic! I wish I knew my local resources! All I know is the grocery store. I don't even know where to begin to find out! YIKES!

I'm going to invest some energy into figuring this out. Thank you for heading me in the right direction.

Garden Green
11-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I found mine by just looking for events in my city. It helps that I live in a larger city that has a website with the links to the local markets. It also helps that I live in a university town that has a huge agriculture department with a website.

I did a search on Google, I just put in Broken Arrow, OK farms and got 12 hits for farmers markets near you, including one called Broken Arrow Farmer's Market.

I also found that your city has their own website with a search feature: http://www.brokenarrowok.gov/
It probably has events listed somewhere on it.

You are fairly close to Tulsa so there is probably a lot of stuff going on, so you might want to hunt down the Tulsa city website and see what they have going on and see if it extends to your area.

I stumbled over a rain barrel demo in my city because I was looking up rain barrels in Knoxville. I guess it's just luck of the draw when you're digging around for information on other stuff.

MoniDew
11-22-2008, 05:33 AM
HOLY MOLY! You're amazing!

I didn't realize that our farmer's markets were still open in the fall. I thought they closed after summer. I'll have to check into that!

I do like our city's website. I have it bookmarked, because I look stuff up all the time. Just never thought about searching for the farmer's market there!

Thank you so much for the help. Heck, for just caring about me.

Garden Green
11-22-2008, 03:07 PM
You're welcome! ;)

Cynthia
11-23-2008, 09:25 AM
We don't do turkey, but we are having a chemical free meal -

Salad with arugula and lettuces from the garden dressed with meyer lemon vinigarette (lemons from our mini tree)
organic-free range leg of lamb
green beans from the garden
Free range potatoes :) mashed with cream, butter, and garlic
home made bread
organic pear tart

It is not all local, and I did not grow it all, but we are making big improvements.

Happy and safe holidays to all
~Cynthia

MoniDew
11-23-2008, 11:05 AM
:p Wow! How long did you have to chase those potatoes around before you caught them?

gardengirl72
11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
I have two birds I have saved for the occasion! They are small but delicious. I also save a bunch of pumpkin soup for the day(left over from halloween).

I try to keep it simple though. Holidays always end up being way too much work for me though and wipe me out for a while after.

Cynthia
11-23-2008, 01:07 PM
you have to catch them early in the morning - while they are still sleepy.

herb girl
11-25-2008, 10:37 PM
we are excited to be eating our own, range-organically grown turkey! It's a big achievement for our family. We grew our own potatoes and I bought local, organic pumpkin. I think I'll break out one jar (of the seven) green beans I canned. My goal is to someday have a completely "home grown" meal.
If I couldn't do that though, I'd be mighty proud just to make it "local". :)

gardengirl72
11-28-2008, 11:20 AM
:)Another delicious thanks giving meal here! It was almost right out of Michael Polans book OD. So much was raised here on the farmette. It was well received and I was treated like the domestic goddess I am:). Way too much work. I need a rest....