PDA

View Full Version : Master Gardener Program

Garden Green
11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen anything like this in your area, but UT has a Master Gardener Program where you get 40 hours of training and the put the training to use by helping the community for 40 hours. It is everything from educating the community to helping to beautifying it.

I am soo going to this.

Cynthia
11-22-2008, 03:17 PM
there are master gardener programs in TX and OK, all with the same 40 commitment. I think it is a great idea.

MoniDew
11-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Cool! :cool:

Uke_Mochi
02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
They also have a Master Gardener program here in Ohio, done through the "extensions" of OSU. I believe it is by county.

Here's a link to the National site: http://www.ahs.org/master_gardeners/

shebear
02-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I thought about it and inquired. It's $150 for the class that only meets on Thursdays during the day. And the 40 hours are their sanctioned projects. The community garden that I'm developing doesn't count........which explains why I can't get many Master Gardeners to take plots. So I decided they weren't for me. I don't want to discourage people but you do need to know all the commitments. And you have to do it each year to stay a Master Gardener. It does sound like a good thing. Too bad it was a bad fit for me.

Sinfonian
02-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Researching it I found that the Master Garden concept started in Seattle and branched out to every state since. Pretty cool. I'm trying to get my aunt to do it. Some day I may have time. Sounds fun!

ecogirl
02-15-2009, 04:37 PM
sounds fun!

Blossome
02-16-2009, 04:57 PM
We have one here in Maryland but the days and hours changed every year. So it's kind of hard to get into.

kirataffy
02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
My grandmother was a Master Gardener for years and years. I looked into it, but the 40 hours and the day the class is held just don't fit my life right now. Plus the cost at the time was over my budget. Someday, though, someday I will be a Master Gardener. It is in my blood!;)

shelbynoel
03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
This sounds really cool. I'll have to check it out here in CO. A friend mentioned becoming a master gardener, but I never checked out the details. Thanks for giving me a nudge!
Shelby