PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the flatland

flatlander
11-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi. I'm a long time gardener and desendant of several generations of farmers. Due to pretty adverse weather and soil conditions out here on the plains, I converted to raised beds about 15 years ago and have been "tweaking" that system ever since. Currently I have about 450 square feet in raised beds, plus a potato patch and a two long beds for brambles and asparagus. I try to grow what we use the most of, so I have 2 beds of onions (Texas Sweet), garlic, and as many tomatos as I can stuff in 3 beds. The tomatos are generally evenly split between hybrids and heirlooms. This past year I've added a beehive to the mix and planted a 25x100 foot patch of alfalfa, hoping that will help keep the bees going. I've also been "worm ranching" for about 15 years and use the castings for seed starting. The biggest problems I have out here are the weather and the animals. The deer and raccoons have my place scoped out pretty well.

Rich

Sinfonian
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey Flatlander! Remember me? Glad to see you found this site. Patti is great and there are a bunch of real experts here. Of course, you qualify as a worm ranching expert in you're own right!

Hope your season turned out well. Areyou able to plant in he fall and winter where you are? Just curious. Take care and enjoy!

gardengirl72
11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow, Flatlander has signed up. Welcome a great pleasure. I am dying to see some pics! Thank you for signing up.

Patti

plantoneonme
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the forums, glad you could join us.

Kim