PDA

View Full Version : Winter Garden Project: Water Barrels

Garden Green
11-22-2008, 05:04 PM
With so much to do during the main growing season in the garden, build a rain barrel this winter.

Here is a link with complete instructions with photo's:

http://www.gardenwatersaver.com/9.html

I have 4 55 gallon barrels, personally. Anyone else have any?

Sinfonian
11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
When I find time I'm going to build my own I think. I've got two good spots for them in my back yard. Well, more if I wanted to stretch it. But I priced them out, but to buy even simple ones was really expensive.

One may be installed this year just to protect my newly planted blueberries from a downspout. hehe

They're very useful and my goal is to have four of them in the garden. Over 1,000 SF of roof area drains to the garden area downspout, so I could easily keep four full. That would allow me to hand water with the supply all year long maybe. Some day...

Garden Green
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I got mine for free from an eco friendly car wash in town and just had to buy the hardware. They just set them out for anyone to come by and pick them up. We don't drink out of them and they were ease enough to clean up. Might want to check around and see what you might be able to come up with for free.

Sinfonian
11-23-2008, 01:10 AM
I regularly check Craigslist for my area, but people know they're valuable so they sell them, not give them away.

Basic, food-grade drums run $40-60 with no hardware and $75 for a spigot at the bottom. I just checked and saw these prices. A year ago when I first looked they were $10-15 and $25 for spigots. As rain barrels get more popular, the prices go up.

I saw a road-side gardening pot business that was selling them with spiggots and an overflow tube for $50. I considered it, but they'll be there when I'm ready. Of course maybe they'll be $100.

Grrr.

Kittikity
11-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Lowes has 32 gal trash cans on their website for $13.. Just put your zip code in and it'll tell you if the Lowes in your area has them.. It'll be what I'll be going with since I don't have a spicket in my yard.. Yeah, I know.. Almost 2 acres and no spicket.. How retarded is that? Good thing in the summer we get plenty of rain..

Garden Green
11-24-2008, 08:02 PM
You know, I've seen the trash cans and I wonder how effective it would be because it would be a back flow or maybe an over flow issue if it isn't closed tightly enough. I know the instructions say to seal with duct tape.. but I don't know. If anyone has these how well do they work?

gaiatechnician
11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
I am going to try to get city approval for a big pond or underground tank. I intend to build it from rock and mortar and use zipex to waterproof it. I am supposed to have runoff mitigation anyway so if I have a 3 to 6 cubic meters of tank/ pond or more, I think it might solve 2 problems at once. I get most of my rain in winter when nothing grows. Water usage taxes are rising here too. I have an area that I think will be nearly perfect for a big underground tank.
Brian

Garden Green
11-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice! Talk about your water barrel project!

I don't know about building one but I do know that there are cisterns you can get. This guy (http://ersson.sustainabilitylane.com/rainwatr.htm) did it and was pleased enough with it.

plantoneonme
11-25-2008, 12:11 AM
You know, I've seen the trash cans and I wonder how effective it would be because it would be a back flow or maybe an over flow issue if it isn't closed tightly enough. I know the instructions say to seal with duct tape.. but I don't know. If anyone has these how well do they work?

I have one and there is no backflow issue. I didn't seal mine up. If you look at Lowe's site it tells you to drill a hole near the top which will allow for overflow. I put a hose into my drilled hole which I then place into 5 gallon buckets to catch the overflow (free from a local restaurant). When the bucket is full, I place on a good sealing top just in case my granddaughter gets curious one day (I don't want any accidents) and to prevent mosquitos. I use up whats in the buckets first before getting water from the trash can. So far it has worked good for me and it was very inexpensive.

Kim

Garden Green
11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Great! Now that we know that works, Sinfonian doesn't have an excuse. :D

goplayallie
11-26-2008, 08:35 PM
This is my biggest challenge with the love of travel and the love of gardening. This year I have partnered with the local community garden. Next, I will try the square foot garden and will use a couple of 11 L ice cream tubs to collect rain right beside the bed. ( not recommended if you have small children)

Will let you know how it goes.

go out and play,
Allie

rdsaltpower
11-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I am going to try my hand at building one this spring. If it works I may add another.

gardengirl72
11-28-2008, 11:17 AM
I am going to finish building my automatic, solar/wind powered irrigation system for my main garden. This thing has been expanding and growing, but not finished yet. 2009 is the year!

Blossome
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Wow! great info. Thanks