PDA

View Full Version : My Son Asked Me to Homeschool

MoniDew
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi,

My son asked me to homeschool. He's the last little fledgling in our nest, and is about to turn 18 years old. He's hated school for years! As a result he is two years behind. He is BRILLIANT. But BORED out of his SKULL. He hates homework, and would rather work at his computer than open a textbook. Which is weird, because he's constantly reading something and can't stand to be without a great (literature) book.

He thinks the antics of the other kids are juvenille, the teachers are stupid (his word), and he'd rather be self-directed. So, he's taken his own route for years, and has taught himself some amazing things.

We know he loves computers, 3D graphic arts and animation, and has even designed his own scenes and characters for video games.

Here's my issue: I want him to have a Diploma, not just a GED. For the sake of his future, of getting a job, of having a resume, I want him to have a REAL diploma from an accredited school. (Most homeschoolers just print one out from their printer at home. But that's worth the paper its printed on. That will not work in the real world!)

So tell me, homeschoolers. How do I give my son what he needs? His own, internal and intrinsic needs, AND the real-world, hard-core education he truly needs?

THANK YOU!

gardengirl72
11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Do you think he can get into a college and do well on the standard tests? Because if so, the only diploma that really matter is the college one these days. My opinion,(I don't homeschool, but wish I did), for what it's worth.

MoniDew
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
hmm...you raise a valid point. He tests incredibly high. He's insanely bright, just L A Z Y!

Editing to add here:

Patti, thank you for opening our eyes to this option.

We just had a quick little chat, and we've come up with a rough game plan. Here in OK, the local community college will offer a State High School diploma after you have earned 30 college level course hours. First, they test to see if you have adequate math and reading skills to function at a college level, which he TOTALLY has, then you can take the courses. We're going to set up an appointment with one of the counselors there a.s.a.p.

The plan is, to take enough college courses to get a high school diploma. Backwards, but it works!

He's way more interested in college than high school. In his words, "because they treat you like an adult there."

All I can say is, bravo for him!

Whew! I'm already breathing a little easier. (Parenting isn't for wimps!)

gardengirl72
11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
That sounds like a perfect solution. Now hopefully the teachers at the college will beat the lazy out of him:). The good thing about this plan (if it works that is) is that his self esteem will probably benefit from going to college instead of high school. And those that go to Community College want to go there, where as High schoolers have to. I think a transfer plan into a four year college must be worked in early as you discuss this as well.

I am not Dr. Phil, Oprah, or anyone else, so if I ruined you life there is the disclaimer. I am the Garden Girl and have solid answers on the Tiffen Menonite Heirloom Tomato.

MoniDew
11-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I am not Dr. Phil, Oprah, or anyone else, so if I ruined you life there is the disclaimer. I am the Garden Girl and have solid answers on the Tiffen Menonite Heirloom Tomato.

LOL! That's okay! You are FANTASTIC, just as yourself!

He's ecstatic over the "high school diploma for adults" program. I haven't seen him this excited about school in YEARS. Turns out, he didn't want to be lazy. He just didn't want to be bored and insulted and didn't know how else to express it. Thank you so much for making us dig deep and come up with this. You've made a momma very happy.

hunnybunny
12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I have homeschooled both of my sons, all the way through. My oldest is now college and my youngest 15 will be starting community college this spring. I say go for it! Its had its struggles but totally worth it. Especially going with the dual enrollment as you mentioned earlier. Good Luck:)

kirataffy
02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
You are on the right track. I am on our 3rd year of homeschooling. My son will get a diploma from me and a transcript of what he did. He is also eligable for dual enrollment down at the college. He will earn an AA and the college doesn't care if he gets a diploma or not. The next school won't be looking for it either. He has an AA, that trumps a diploma. I don't think a GED holds anyone back anymore. Good luck to your son, I think he will be very happy.

MamaGigi
02-20-2009, 11:54 PM
The plan my family has for highschool will be as follows.

Instead of doing year-end testing and buying curriculum for each year, we will employ DANTES and CLEP exams as our study material. This is two fold. One it provides the state with confirmation of progression and two, she will have a good number of classes already out of the way by the time she enters college. Unless she finds something she really wants to take, we will work on the material covered in the study guides our highschooling years. She will be free to study anything else she may want to cover but this will provide her with college credits, which trump (as someone else said) diplomas.

kirataffy
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
excellent course work plan. :)

Ginger
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
You may be surprised to learn that many universities don't accept CLEP and DANTES. We found that to be true much to our frustration. We used North Atlantic Regional High School (narhs.org) to obtain accredited HS diplomas for our children. They accept distance students from all over the world. Your son might already have enough credits for a diploma through them. My youngest got his at 12. Then if my children wish, they go on to do online university level classes at their own pace. Our youngest at 17 went to university this spring for the first time to complete his BA. I've written about this in the following article.

http://www.milestonesacademy.com/Site/Years_11_and_12.html