PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Tutorial!

MoniDew
11-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Fantastic site for learning how to knit!:

Knitting Help.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com)

Kittikity
11-24-2008, 05:50 PM
OMG! That looks so easy! Thank you so much for that link.. I've always wanted to learn to knit (used to know how to crochet when I was a kid) but always felt it was daunting to learn on my own.. I learn best by visual and hands on..

gardengirl72
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Just makes me want to shoot knitting videos. Someday I'll get back to shooting my beloved fiber arts.

Kittikity
11-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I need to learn to knit sweaters for my coming goat kids.. :D

MoniDew
11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes, Patti, please do! I'd love to see you spin your angora and cashmere!

Cynthia
11-29-2008, 03:40 PM
those are very nice - I use continental method as opposed to American.

MoniDew
11-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Cynthia, I have always wished I had learned Continental, so much more elegant and sophisticated looking than my wild arms flying!

But I suppose it's hard to tell in the finished project, and I'm a little old to relearn.

Kittikity
11-29-2008, 07:41 PM
What is the difference between continental and american? Mind you, I know NOTHING about knitting.. Except what I saw in the videos..

MoniDew
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
That might be a bit hard to explain to someone who knows little about knitting but I'll try.

Continental and American are styles of knitting. If you observe knitters in their natural habitats you'll see that some knitters use their right hand to pass the yarn over the needles, (American) and some use their left (Continental). These definitions apply to right-handed knitters and are reversed for left-handers.

Continental knitting is prized for its efficiency of movement and, once mastered, the ability to knit speedily. It is considered to be the most sophisticated and elegant of the two methods. The name Continental comes from the method's use in Europe.

In the United States, most are taught to cast (or "throw") the yarn with their right hand, so it is called the American method. American method users, of course, feel inferior about this and are duly shamed in the presence of Continental knitters. It all boils down to the method you were taught and how willing you are to learn something new.

Of course, there are those who use a combined method... Knit continental style and purl American style...

Either way produces lovely garments, of course. And the difference serves no other purpose than to give knitters something to squabble about.

Hope that answers your question. ;)

Kittikity
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
No, that's a great explanation.. Thanks again.. I guess I need to get some needles and yarn.. I want to try to do the hand knit goat kid sweater on this page..
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/goatsweater.htm
Think thats doable for a newbie?