PDA

View Full Version : Hello from St. Louis

greenmagick
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, I had a really long intro typed and somehow, with one push of a button, my son erased the whole thing!:eek:

So, in hopes of that not happening again, I'll keep it short:) Married mama to 2 (almost three year old daughter and 14 month old son). Grew up gardening, we decided to take it to the next level last year and are working on building our urban homestead. We have a large veggie garden and chickens. We will probably be adding bees this spring. For the veggie garden, I do a mix of square foot gardening and companion planting. I'll be honest, I cant stand the look of square foot gardening and cottage style is my preference so I mix it up a bit to appeal to me:)

I have a link to my blog in my siggie that is (supposed to be) a journal of our progress.

gardengirl72
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey Nicole. I love your blog! It makes me feel less alone at the sustainable home front. Thank you so much for signing up and hopefully sharing with us what you are learning.

Every one is thinking about bees.......

Fred's Fine Fowl
12-01-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm so glad to see someone here form St. Louis!
What part are you from? I'm originally from Kirkwood... I'm very interested knowing what part is allowing chickens?!
Thanks,
Fred

greenmagick
12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey Nicole. I love you blog! It makes me feel less alone at the sustainable home front. Thank you so much for signing up and hopefully sharing with us what you are learning.

Every one is thinking about bees.......

Thanks, glad to be here:)

I'm so glad to see someone here form St. Louis!
What part are you from? I'm originally from Kirkwood... I'm very interested knowing what part is allowing chickens?!
Thanks,
Fred

I am in Affton. I know you can keep hens in the city, clayton, and webster groves as well. I am pretty sure you can in Kirkwood as I know some people who do:) The St. Louis Film Festival was a couple of weeks ago, and the Dervaes family (path to freedom) were featured in a documentary. There were a lot of urban homesteaders there. We are trying to get a local support group going:)

MoniDew
12-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm about 5 hours south of you, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Glad to have you on the boards!!

plantoneonme
12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Your little girl is so cute...looks like she is a big helper just like my granddaughter Jordan (age 4). Has she started saying "I can do it all by myself" constantly yet? It seems to be the catch phrase lately. Kim

Sinfonian
12-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Welcome! I work with someone in St. Louis. Does that count? Just kidding. Did you attend the film festival? I bet there were a bunch of local gardeners there. Great that you're trying to set up a group there! I'd love to do that around here.

Enjoy!