PDA

View Full Version : Therapeutic/Rehabilitative Gardening

MoniDew
12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I have something on my heart to do, but I need a little push in the right direction. I know so very little about this!

But when I watched the podcast of Patti using her garden for education, my heart broke (in a good way!) I realized that I have been living my life so small and so selfishly. I realized what a garden could be, what it should be! And, through Patti's example, what a LIFE could and should be. (Thank you, Patti.)

I have an idea to create a therapeutic/rehabilitative type of garden. I just have no idea how.

How do I start? What do I need to know? Anybody got any ideas?

gardengirl72
12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
You're welcome Moni! I have to say that the great thing about creating an inviting outdoor space is people are invited into your space. That sounds funny, but it is true. I can't tell you how many people I have met and hung out with here.

This last summer, I had a bunch of school groups, a day camp, a college class and a few large parties for friends and family. A garden is an ideal place to talk period. My grandmother in law spends hours hanging out with her friends in the gardens here, and my neighbor an art therapist thinks it is a great environment for all sorts of therapy.

I hope Cynthia weighs in on this one.

The problem, of course, is that it is too much work for a perfectionist like me. I fuss over too much and work to hard and you get the rest......

MoniDew
12-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I'll build it! They'll come! LOL!!! Thanks, Patti!

I would like to hear from Cynthia on this one, if she's got the time. Cynthia?

plantoneonme
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
If possible I would have a least a portion of the gardens wheel chair accessible. I would also have some tools that are easy to grip for those who may want to dig in the dirt a bit but may have limitations with their hands. Some nice petting bunnies and a friendly cat or dog as a greeter is nice.

MoniDew
12-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I love it! great thoughts!

If possible I would have a least a portion of the gardens wheel chair accessible. I would also have some tools that are easy to grip for those who may want to dig in the dirt a bit but may have limitations with their hands. Some nice petting bunnies and a friendly cat or dog as a greeter is nice.

gardengirl72
12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Speaking of wheel chairs, you can pretty easily set up a raised bed "table" garden that the chair can roll under. It makes it really great for elderly or handicapped people. They can play in the dirt and grow wonderful things.