PDA

View Full Version : How are you planning for next year's?

leydaleon
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I am wondering when to start the seedlings this year... last year it took forever to start seeds in my garden from scratch. I want this year to plan ahead and start the seedlings and plant them in the garden when the last frost passes out... that is around 2nd week of May.
When should I start then? I know there are some plants that take longer to sprout. What do you suggest?
This year I had corn, tomatoes, lettuce, onions (this I will buy the bulbs in May), pepper (which never grew well), beans, I tried cucumber, strawberries and carrots with no luck.
This year I would like to try tomatoes in pots not in the garden. I want to plant corn, pepper again, not that many beans, lettuce, onions (different classes), carrots, cucumber, strawberries, blueberries, cabagge, green onions, cilantro (I don't know why I never have luck with them!), garlic, and I can't think of anything else right now...

gardengirl72
12-03-2008, 12:43 PM
I think FT Collins is probably very cold and I guess that your in Zone 3?? Well anyway, I would start all of my seedlings in Feb, start warming my soil in March.

I would start hardening my first batch of seedlings in March and April. Plant them under hoop houses in late April, as well as seed start my leafy greens at the same time.

This past year was the first time I have every been successful with Pepper, so don't be dissapointed. They need extra time indoors and require a lot of water and heat(my observations).

I hope that helps. I just shot a monthly tips series with Mel that will start next month that will have some general rules as what to do and when.

plantoneonme
12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
If your temps are warm enough to plant out the 2nd week of May, you must be in approximately the same climate as I am. I started my tomato seeds in mid March and started hardening them off in late April. I planted out on Mother's day but still needed to protect them until early June this year. My peppers got off to a slow start but took off in mid August and we were able to harvest until October.

Things like lettuce, broccoli, cabbage etc can also be started indoors about 6 weeks before transplanting outside. They can tolerate temps much lower than tomatoes and peppers. I plant my hardened off seedlings outside in early April.

Also check out the back of the seed packets for lots of information. They will tell you when to plant indoors for your zone. For example, it may say "start indoors 6 weeks before the last frost". Many packets also tell you what the soil temp must be in order for the seeds to germinate well. Beans for example, need pretty warm soil temps in order to grow well.

HTH, Kim

leydaleon
12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Excellent suggestions! Thank you so much! I can't wait ... so far my basil plant is not liking it inside :( eventhough it takes the morning sun by a warm window... But it doesn't let me down... I can't wait to start my seedlings. I have a lot of friends asking me about gardening.. and to be sincer... I am a newbie so this year I want to experiment more and organize myself better...

Thanks again for your suggestions and ideas! :)

gardengirl72
12-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Your basil may like some artificial light. I find that the plants that make it through the winter are great next spring. I have some herb plants that go in and out year after year. They are my kitchen pals. Send your friends to us, we'll try and get them into it.

Wait till you see my new aquaponic seed starting system. It is really cool.

Cynthia
12-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Try checking your county extension service agent - she/he should be able to tell you about planting times, or if there is an Ag department in Ft Collins, or even in Denver, they'll have a tip sheet.

AbbeyLehman
01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I have set up a spreadsheet that calculates seed starting and transplanting dates from your last frost date, if you would like it!

Send me an EMAIL through my profile and I'll send it to you!

Abbey

maricybele
01-09-2009, 04:54 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/maricybele/garden/IMG_6416-1.jpg My five day old babies

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/maricybele/garden/IMG_6361.jpg I still have a few eggplants and 1 pepper!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/maricybele/garden/IMG_6353.jpg (My adjustable light for when they get bigger)

I sowed tomatoes, peppers, eggplant,and tomatillo under lights and on top of a heat vent last week. I have my peppers and eggplants and tomatillos on heat mats and my tomatoes on top of the heat vent. I am getting some tomato sprouts now. I just keep trying to garden year round. And I plan by the space left in my garden or the plants I want to plant. No diagrams here.

I didn't get them big enough last year and my tomatoes were a little late, so I will baby them a little more in doors warmer. Last year I did it in the garage with light and christmas lights underneath but it was a little too cold in the garage and they turned purple and yellow and were stressed and were too cold to grow to a large plant. They enventually came out of their purple funk in late June July, so giving them more heat as they grow should give me larger plants. I will let you know. My plants have their own bedroom!

I was told once they sprout to put an osillating fan on for a few hours and lift the lid to make the plants stronger. When it gets warm enough they will go to a cold frame or mini green house. Then in the ground when it gets warm around Mothers Day.

We shall see. My goal is to spend less on plants and be self sufficent in the plant department. And this year I over wintered some tomatoes, peppers and eggplant to save the healthy plants. I need to harvest those eggplant and peppers. I know I am crazy, I think of my self as the mad professor with any and all plant experiments.

gardengirl72
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks so much for sharing the images. My indoor garden looks pretty similar right about now.

new500
01-13-2009, 07:51 AM
I have been looking at my seed books for hours now. I need help, we want to do a lot of salads at our house. You know when you go to the store this is not a hudge amount maybe three different kinds. Well when I look in the seed book there are alot to chose from. can anyone help in the selection and what taste better. My family is a hudge salad family it is like candy here. They are going to be so happy this year because then I will not have to run to the store 50 time to pick up lettuce.

gardengirl72
01-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I think the best thing to do is plant different varieties that will come in at different times. That way you'll have lettuce available quickly and then your next crop will be something different. A mescln salad mix is a great way to start. Sow those in the soil first before the last day of frost. They'll come in first and you can start eating them when the leaves are 2"-4" then start different kinds for the next month. I love romaine and bibb lettuce. I great way to pick is to go to the supermarket or farmer's market and try different kinds. Plant the ones you like or plant ones you can't find at the supermarket for a gourmet treat.