PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Gettysburg, Pa.

Garden Addict
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm so glad i found this site. From what i've seen the information available now is far more than it was 20 years ago. I started organic gardening in 1979 and had a great garden until 1990. I started with a small garden about 20 x 20 and worked up to 50 x 65 which supported my family of four and others for most of the year. It's been 18 years but i have finally broken ground on my new garden and it's going to be a beauty 40 x 70. I've forgotten some of my old tricks so i may lean on all of you to bring me back up to speed.
Thank you for the welcome in....Mark :)

plantoneonme
12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Welcome Mark. I didn't have a veggie garden for over 7 years and finally decided to give it a try again this year. Boy was I glad I did. With the economy that way it has been, I was able to feed 6 adults and 1 child all summer long with quite a bit still in the freezer.

I am sure you can pass along some information as well even if it has been many years.

Kim

Sinfonian
12-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Welcome Mark! I sure hope for your sake that gardening is like riding a bike. That kind of experience is something you want to build upon! Welcome!

herb girl
12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Welcome Mark!

I'm practically your neighbor! Only about 1/2 away.
Glad to have you join.

Garden Addict
12-07-2008, 11:08 PM
There is a lot of good material here, at times it seems a bit overwhelming. The links are very helpful also. With the wnter months getting closer i'll have more time to spend on my homework :). Herb Girl i'm close to the Md. line but about 12 south of Gettysburg. I've never grown herbs but i'd like to try a few this year. I just need to find a good place in the garden to start them or keep them separate (which i may do if i have the time). I'd rather do raised beds for them. Location is the key, i'm somewhat limited to where i'd like them to go.
Sinfonian i used to be able to ride a bike very good but age and wear and tear is setting in, looks like i'll start again with the training wheels...Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Kim, the savings alone will help out a lot but i'm in it for the sanity it puts back into my life. Working construction these days (and after 37 yrs.) it's nice to have something that rewards me with a bounty of delishious vegetables that food stores can't compete with. And i don't hear any complaints from the plants so long as i tend to them they way they like.

gardengirl72
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
So glad to have you. My husband thinks about Gettysburg like it is Mecca or something. We will definitely show up some day! And what a perfect Forum Name by the way.

Make sure you raise the beds as tall as possible, it makes gardening a lot easier as you get older. Herbs are great.

Garden Addict
12-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome and your husband will love all there is to do and see there. Plan on staying at least 3 days and then thats still not enough time. I like your site, so much info. i try to get on a few times a week and re-educate myself. A lot has changed in the years since i first started gardening. Send me an e-mail if you and your husband are ever in the area, my wife and i can help you get started on your gettysburg experience or if you need info. of where to stay...Mark

Sinfonian
12-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I spent a day in Gettysburg when I was a child, traveling around the East Coast. I will remember it fondly forever. Amazing place. I hope to take my kids there some day when they're older and can appreciate it.

Enjoy the re-education!

MoniDew
12-12-2008, 10:55 PM
:waves:

Hello! Welcome!