PDA

View Full Version : Knitting supply advise for a newbie..

Kittikity
12-04-2008, 08:06 PM
What supplies would you suggest for a beginning knitter? I'd like to do some sweaters and maybe even blankets, scarves.. Do I need single point or double point needles? Circular cabled needles? Wood or metal? There's so much to choose from, I don't know where to start.. Or should I get one of everything? lol

MoniDew
12-06-2008, 08:18 AM
It's easiest to learn on straight, single pointed needles. (wood or metal just a matter of personal preference. some knitters perfer the warmth of the wood as opposed to the cold of the steel. or the slipperiness of metal vs the traction of wood. try one set of each.)

Use basic yarn, not a knobbly bucle' or something. You need to be able to see your stitches!

Master the basics like casting on, the knit stitch, the purl stitch, turning for rows, casting off, etc.

Learn basic stitch patterns like garter stitch - which is knitted rows on both the right side and wrong side of the piece.

Stockinette stitch - which is knitted on the right side and purl on the wrong side of the piece.

1/1 ribbing - which is knit one stitch, purl one stitch across the first row, then every row thereafter you knit into each knit stitch and purl into each purl stitch.

THEN branch out!

That's when you buy the long double pointed needles for knitting larger pieces or knitting in the round. A few sets of double pointed needles will help with knitting smaller, circular items such as socks or sleeves of a sweater. Cable needle will help when you are ready to learn how to make cables. (and I would proceed in this order, too.)

NOW, learn lacework, and more complex garment construction, etc.

STEP BY STEP, that's how we learn. Just supply yourself for the step you are on. You never know, you might just be satisfied to knit a few scarves back and forth on straight needles in garter stitch for the next year and a half before you go any further. You may be ready for lacy cabled socks next week. It just depends on your learning style.

Kittikity
12-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks so much for the advice.. I think you're right about going step by step.. I'm just so eager to start and I've already got so many ideas.. I'm proud to say that I understand a lot of what you're talking about since I watched the videos on that knitting site.. I know its probably a little more advanced then a beginner should start with, but I'm really eager to make a purse and scarf combo with the loop stitch.. I don't know why but I think that would be a really neat project.. I used to know how to crotchet when I was a kid but forgot most of it.. Never actually made anything though.. I also used to do latch rugs when I was younger (doing one now) and have completed several cross stitch kits.. I know these aren't the same as knitting but I do seem to have a knack for these kinds of crafts.. I've tried to teach myself quilting but for some reason couldn't get the knack of using the sewing machine.. Wonder if I should try doing it by hand since I seem to be best with my hands..

Thanks again for the advise..

MoniDew
12-12-2008, 01:32 PM
you do sound like you are great with your hands! knitting should be a snap! The most important thing is to have fun with it. If it's not fun, then it's work, not pleasure, not relaxation, and not why we knit! So relax, have fun, enjoy the process, and learn something new with each project.

gardengirl72
12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Great advise. I taught my daughter with a pair of size 17 circular needles and bulky yarn. She's made quite a few hats. Its a quick project so she won't loose interest.

A garter stitch scarf is a great first project. You cast on enough stitches to make a 48 inch long scarf. Just multiply the stitch gauge (stitches per inch) by 48 and that will tell you how many stitches you need to cast on. The thicker the yarn and the thicker the needle, the less stitches you will need to cast on. I love using circular needles even if I'm not knitting in the round and with this particular scarf circulars keep the scarf on one needle. Its best to use at least a 32" long circular needle. Bamboo needles are the best when you are learning because they are not slippery like addi turbos or metal needles. Next you just knit every row (garter stitch) and cast off once you reach the desired width (at least 5 inches) or til you run out of yarn. If you have any left over yarn use it to Make tassels.

I have a video coming out shortly on how to make one.

Patti

MoniDew
12-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I also have a preference for circular needles, even when not knitting in the round.

TIP: Using two balls of yarn, knit both sleeves of a sweater at the same time on a long circular needle, to make sure they come out identical. You can also knit both the left and right fronts of a cardigan at the same time, reversing the shaping, to make sure they are identical as well.