PDA

View Full Version : Green beans

Carmi
12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone
I'm planning my garden and want to plant green beans. I'm interested in the very, very long and thin bean. What is the name of this bean? and can it grow in zone 5? Where can I find the seeds? Also, I've heard of purple beans... any thoughts? Carmi

Cynthia
12-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I grow hericots verts (pronounced hair-ih-co ver) These are french green beans and grow long and slim - You can get them anywhere you can get organic veg seed. I try to grow at least two varieties because they mature at different rates.

plantoneonme
12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I have heard of yard long beans which are supposed to get very long...haven't grown them though. We grew purple beans this year along with yellow and green. I called them rainbows in order to get my granddaughter to eat them even though they basically all taste the same. The purple beans are very pretty but turn green if cooked....but then we tend to eat a lot of them raw anyway straight off the bush with a little dip. Kim

MoniDew
12-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Yes, I was just about to say, chinese yard long beans. my grandfather grew them in his garden. as for purple hulls, there are a lot of varieties. you might think about growing an heirloom for this.