PDA

View Full Version : Winter Sowing

plantoneonme
12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I did a little winter sowing last year and plan on doing a LOT more this year. Now is the time to start collecting containers such as milk jugs or any container with a clear lid so you can winter sow (this is also a great way to recycle twice). Many plants can be started this way and will even thrive in your gardens. For more information check out this website www.wintersown.org

Trudi is the originator of this method which has been tested by hundreds of people with great success. I tried a few flowers and veggies last year as a skeptic and now I am hooked.

So far for this year I will be starting...
asparagus
alpine strawberries
leeks
broccoli
kohlrabi
cabbage
celery
tomatoes
peppers
pumpkins
melons
cucumbers
lettuce
and a large variety of herbs

As I gather my containers, I will probably add more to try out. If you need even more information check out the winter sown forum at gardenweb.com the people there are friendly and very helpful.

One of the great things about winter sowing is that the plants come up when mother nature says it is time. The mini greenhouses protect the plants in the spring and in the case of milk jugs are easy to vent simply by taking off the lid and later opening the side (opened to plant and later taped shut to make the mini greenhouses). You also won't need a huge light array to keep plants healthy and no hardening off since mother nature does it for you. I will begin planting after Christmas...it is really ok that things freeze!

In the spring, I will let you all know how things went but would love it if someone else would try and let us know how things went for them as well. Winter sowing FAQ's link http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/

Kim

p.s. Patti this may be another good educational video or 2...one on the method and later one on the results.

gardengirl72
12-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I am gathering up my containers right now! I hope to shoot some of this for next season. I think it is a great idea, if everybody tried it out we could get a pretty good data pool of results together as well...hmmmm.

plantoneonme
12-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I am gathering up my containers right now! I hope to shoot some of this for next season. I think it is a great idea, if everybody tried it out we could get a pretty good data pool of results together as well...hmmmm.
Ok everyone...how many people will commit to trying at least a few containers? Lets get some data together! Kim

Garden Addict
12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I need to read up on the winter sowing a bit more. Sounds interesting.
In case others don't know their specific Hardiness zone this link will help.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

Sinfonian
12-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I found out about this last winter when I was researching for spring. Trudi is great and became a bit flustered by me saying I'd do it this year, but not last year. Now I get her confusion. But I've been saving containers all year to start stuff early.

Since I'm doing Four Season Harvesting, I will be essentially winter sowing my greens and other cool-weather crops through direct sowing in my beds under hoop covers. However, I may very well do tomatoes and other warm weather crops that way. I've got extra seeds and it would be good to see how quickly they germinate.

So I decided to winter sow last winter. Only I waited until this winter to do it out of confusion. Count me in.

nandmsmom
12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I tried winter sowing a few years ago with poor results. I think I may have done something wrong along the way. This year I'm thinking of sowing my broccoli, cabbage and other cool weather crops. You can count me in for some containers.

Heather

plantoneonme
12-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Glad to have others on board! Don't forget to check out the links I put in my original message for lots of helpful information. Kim

plantoneonme
12-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I did my first 5 containers today...would have done more but ran out of potting soil. So far I have started: asparagus, alpine strawberries, broccoli, leeks and garlic chives. I have a ton more I want to do which will have to wait until I get a couple paychecks after getting back to work. It did make me happy though to be able to get my hands dirty today.

Kim

plantoneonme
12-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I did more containers today! From what I have read all these should do well wintersowing:

kohlrabi
cauliflower
dill
oriental leaf lettuce mix
romaine lettuce
red rock mammoth cabbage
freckles lettuce

I am not sure on these but I am going to experiment: Italian Market wonder tomatoes and minnesota midget melons.

I would like to try a little experiment with others who are interested in trying wintersowing. I would like to send out seeds to others in different parts of the country so we can see how things work where each other lives (make sense?). I have quite a few of the following seeds I can send: cauliflower, dill, red rock mammoth cabbage, Italian market wonder tomatoes, freckles lettuce and minn midget melons. I would like you to try wintersowing them and later in the spring letting us all know how things worked...any takers??? PM me if interested.

Kim

new500
12-23-2008, 09:00 AM
All I can say is wow. I love the idea of winter gardening. I am so excited. I was just going to ask when to start my seeds in the spring, but now I can start even earlier. I am going to have everyone save their containers. You know what I can learn alot from my husbands grandma she does so many of these things. I alway wondered why she had gardens growing every where. she has crops growing all over her place.

nandmsmom
12-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I was going to sow a few milk cartons since we have lots of snow on the ground. Then I looked at the forecast. It's supposed to warm into the 50s next weekend. I dont' want things to get to warm and want to sprout. It looks like I'll be waiting a few more weeks.

MoniDew
12-23-2008, 01:59 PM
We seem to have a weird warm patch every January. Then February through most of March is FREEZING! :shiver: I know I can't put anything outside until April. I'll be starting seed about March 1st in preparation for mid-April transplanting outdoors.

shebear
12-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I tried winter sowing a few years ago and it worked great. I was amazed at how hardy the seedlings were when I took the lids off. The 2 & 3 liter bottles worked great as well as the baggies. The milk cartons weren't as successful but it may have been the seeds I used. This year I'm trying to landscape our community garden so it's time to start a bunch of perennials again so I'm using this method.

Backyard Permaculture
12-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Several weeks ago I used my earthway seeder to plant a garden area about 30 x 60 foot or so. Took several weeks, but the first thing that germinated was corn. Huh???? I didn't plant corn tho, they were volunteers from the corn patch rototilled over.

But I do have some carrots and cole plants, probably beets starting to germinate.

All that with freezing temps, mid to high 20's many nights, but they have started germination.

I just put up a hoophouse (unheated temporary greenhouse) made from 3/4 PVC pipe and T's cut to modify into snap connectors, and have germinated some things in there, Simpson lettuce, more broccoli and cauliflower, Dark red detroit beets, and some of Patti's Mesclum salad mix. A few other things but cant think of it at the moment. Of the lettuce, broc & C-flower, I set out some of these outside the hoophouse to see if they will survive.

Carrots seem to be germinating in the 2 corrugated steel raised beds too.

So I have things going on several fronts.

Oh. I planted a patch of wheat too. So far, after 3 weeks, still hasn't started coming up.

my 66 laying pullets (hens) are producing about 2 to 2-1/2 doz eggs a day. My goats: 1 about 1/2 way through gestation has dropped to a trickle, I will be drying her up in about 2 weeks. The other is producing about a lb of milk, which isn't very much. She will be rebred in about 2 or 3 weeks.

more projects sure to come in the future.

plantoneonme
12-31-2008, 12:01 PM
We seem to have a weird warm patch every January. Then February through most of March is FREEZING! :shiver: I know I can't put anything outside until April. I'll be starting seed about March 1st in preparation for mid-April transplanting outdoors.

Monica, the great thing about wintersowing is that you can plant some things now that will survive the freezing temps. Give a try to a few to see how it goes for you...things like cabbage, broccoli, lettuces and other cold hardy veggies do great. I have friends who also swear by pumpkins, squashes and tomatoes.

Kim

plantoneonme
12-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I wintersowed my next batch today. I did a few flowers that will attract butterflies and bees, some herbs and am trying some giant pumpkin. All but the pumpkins were done in recycled water bottles I collected. I only needed a few of the plants and will see how they do. I will need to watch closer to make sure they don't dry out when things finally thaw. Kim

Today I did...
red cardinal flower
lemon bee balm
gaillardia
marjoram
thyme
sage
creeping rosemary
Wyatt's Wonder giant pumpkin...ok I DON'T have room to grow this but my granddaughter so wants a giant pumpkin, sorry grandpa, but you may lose the back yard completely this year :)

new500
12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Are tomatoes something I can winter sow?

plantoneonme
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Are tomatoes something I can winter sow?

The person, Trudi, who originated this method swears that you can wintersow tomatoes and this is the only way she does hers. I am going to try some this year but grow some indoors as a back up. I am really interested to see how things work. I only did a few things last year as I was skeptical and got a late start. I grew a fabulous birdhouse gourd this way as well as some new perinneal flowers. I also did large pots of lettuce that did great. This is my first big year with vegetables so I am starting with those that everyone states are for sure to wintersow...I'll keep everyone updated as the season progresses.

Kim

plantoneonme
01-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I didn't WS anything today but decided to start some leaf lettuce under my shop light. I hope that in a few weeks that I can start picking some leaves to add to my salads. If they get leggy, I will just snip and eat until I can get a few things going outside. This time of year really makes me yearn to get outside....rats....so many weeks, gasp, months to go.

carmin
01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
It had never occurred to me to try to winter sow tomatoes but in 2007 I left some tomatoes rot on the ground. Imagine my surprised to find dozens of volunteer tomato plants last spring. I had over a dozen that I was growing indoors so I had to scramble to find places for all of them. Some were too close together so I had to move of them. My daughter couldn't believe it. The volunteers weren't as productive but I still have tons in my freezer as well as canned. Four different varieties came up. The thing that surprised me the most was that last winter we had four days of -32 degrees. This year has been even worse. Not as many that low but the most sub zero days since I have been in Minnesota (21 years). I wonder if the potato seeds I left on the ground will come up. (Aside - I had never seen potatoes with seeds before last year, I was growing All Blue and All Red. It turns out that they some times do have seeds, the pods look like cherry tomatoes, except they are green with blueish undertones.)

Cheryl in Chicago
01-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Just for the heck of it, I saved some seeds from a store bought strawberry I'd like to try to winter sow. Could you share info on how you planted yours? I have no idea what type they are, but I want to try anyway.

plantoneonme
01-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Just for the heck of it, I saved some seeds from a store bought strawberry I'd like to try to winter sow. Could you share info on how you planted yours? I have no idea what type they are, but I want to try anyway.

Hi Cheryl, I planted some Alpine strawberry seeds. The process is very simple and I am hoping I get a few plants out of it. I took a gallon milk jug, punched a few holes in the bottom and cut a door out of the side. I filled the bottom with about 4" of a good potting mix (DO NOT use soil), watered well, sprinkled in the seeds, labeled, taped off the door and put outside to wait for spring....don't forget to leave the top off so you don't fry the seeds when things start warming up in the spring. I'll try to get some pictures posted later today so you can see just how easy it is.

Kim

plantoneonme
01-04-2009, 12:42 PM
A picture of the containers I have frozen outside on the patio.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll57/plantoneonme/Gardening007-1.jpg

Also a photo of planted milk jug.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll57/plantoneonme/Gardening008.jpg

Yomolove
01-04-2009, 04:19 PM
hello,

a while ago someone put up a great blog on winter gardening with milk jugs.... can someone please guide me to this information again.... I am so excited about getting a head start on some of the herbs.

Yomolove
01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
found it... thanks plantoneonme

Yomolove
01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Is it wise to start eggplant right now with the winter sewing method?

I just thought of it b/c last summer I started my eggplant from seed and by october I had new buds and no more time.... I didn't know that it was possible to grow during the winter.... It pained me... having to rip them up and compost them... terribly.

I am learning alot from you all.

Thanks

PJJ
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
For those of us that have never saved strawberry seeds.... Could you tell us what the procedure is? How long do they need to dry? ect.... Will they be true to the mother plant?

Also, will the plants fruit the first season or the second?

Penny

plantoneonme
01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Is it wise to start eggplant right now with the winter sewing method?

I just thought of it b/c last summer I started my eggplant from seed and by october I had new buds and no more time.... I didn't know that it was possible to grow during the winter.... It pained me... having to rip them up and compost them... terribly.

I am learning alot from you all.

Thanks

Check out this link, it gives you lots of information about what can be winter sown. http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Seed_Lists.html

plantoneonme
01-04-2009, 06:17 PM
For those of us that have never saved strawberry seeds.... Could you tell us what the procedure is? How long do they need to dry? ect.... Will they be true to the mother plant?

Also, will the plants fruit the first season or the second?

Penny

I have never saved strawberry seeds before the ones I WS'd were given to me. I assume you would seperate the seeds from the berry, rinse well, place on a plate. You can usually tell the seeds are dry if you shake the plate and they move freely. Store in paper envelopes if any doubt and they won't mold. I have a feeling the ones from the stores may be hybrids, but honestly I have no way to tell. This is my first year trying to grow strawberries from seed so I am experimenting myself.

Kim

PJJ
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks Kim.

I figure it sure won't hurt to try.

I did do a little looking around on line this evening. From everything I found, the seeds probably won't grow true. I LOVE strawberries so that won't matter to me. At least they'd be fresh fruit I could grow myself. AND lots cheaper than the store.

You can also root the little runners that shoot off the plants and start new plants that way. I thought that was cool. So if you only have a few plants you could end up with a LOT of plants.

Penny

Cheryl in Chicago
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I had some strawberries that over-ripened before I had a chance to eat them and decided to try to save the seeds. On the internet they suggested putting the over-ripe strawberries in a blender with water and give it a few quick buzzes. Then you pour the pulp in a container and let it sit for a little while. The good seeds will sink and the pulp and dead seeds will float. Now, I can't remember if they sat for a couple of hours or a couple of days. I know the tomato seeds need to sit a few days to ferment. But once the good seeds settle to the bottom of your container, you pour off the pulp, rinse the remaining seeds and let them dry. I dry mine on coffee filters and once they're dry, I just fold the filter into a small envelope shape, write the name on the outside and either rubber band or tape it closed.

As far as the variety, I have no idea. The only information on the container from the grocery store is the name of the farm they came from. I've read that the Alpine strawberries need to be cold treated, which winter sowing would be perfect. Or you can put them in the freezer for a few weeks before you plant them.

I hope the seeds I saved are Alpine because I've read that they may produce fruit the first year. Either way, it will be cool if they actually do germinate.

Long reply...sorry. Hope it helps.

Cheryl in Chicago
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I had written that the winter sown Alpine strawberries would likely produce fruit in the first year. That was in error. The information I was reading said that if you start the cold treated seeds indoors under lights about 10 weeks before the last frost date, those plants might produce the first year and that for the winter sown plants you might have to wait for the second year.

shebear
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I got my potting soil today and hubby is leaving town tomorrow so I'll be winter sowing for two days. Can't wait.

I have tons of perennial flower seeds I want to start. The community garden is making flower beds to attract pollinators and beneficials so I said I'd grow some flowers for them. I'm also doing the "no turfgrass" thing this year so I'll be kissing that lawn mower goodbye soon. You other folks in the neighborhood sweat in the evenings mowing your lawns......I'm in the back with my feet up, sipping sweet tea and picking tomatoes and peppers.

plantoneonme
01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I got my potting soil today and hubby is leaving town tomorrow so I'll be winter sowing for two days. Can't wait.

I have tons of perennial flower seeds I want to start. The community garden is making flower beds to attract pollinators and beneficials so I said I'd grow some flowers for them. I'm also doing the "no turfgrass" thing this year so I'll be kissing that lawn mower goodbye soon. You other folks in the neighborhood sweat in the evenings mowing your lawns......I'm in the back with my feet up, sipping sweet tea and picking tomatoes and peppers.

I plan on joining you in the near future. Unfortunately I have a bad shoulder that tells me when it is time to stop digging. I lived in my old home with over 1/2 acre for over 22 years...slowly the lawn disappeared and was replaced with flower beds. I am now concentrating on the vegetables with flowers on the side. The husband "forbid" me from planting the entire yard we now have which is REALLY small. I think he is finding out it is a losing battle though. He keeps seeing more and more of my wintersown seeds and asks how much more space I think I will comondere this year:D I ask him why he wants lawn anyway. If he lets me have more, he will have to spend less time cutting and trimming and he can spend more time playing golf. I think he liked this idea a little too much as he currently joined 2 golf leagues:o Kim

maricybele
01-09-2009, 05:16 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/maricybele/garden/morewintersowing-Copy.jpg
I loved winter sowing and having things come up effortlessly and in their time.
So I planted as they were ready which was not all at the same time. The cool crops are what grew great with the wintersow method

Cabbage
Asperugus
lettuce
radish
brocolli
cauliflower
brussel sprouts
endive
beets
swiss chard
kale
spinach
Parsley
cilantro
onions
leeks

I can use this outdoor method winter, spring and fall here in Oregon.

Here in Oregon though, the tomatoes came up but they were late and the peppers, eggplant and tomatillo didn't do so well becuase they like that warm temperature and the nortwest was cool until July. I will note that I did not have them facing south the were facing west. Duct tape works best to mark your seeds.

plantoneonme
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
marcibell, thanks for sharing your experience and great picture. Kim