PDA

View Full Version : Get your seeds early this year!

herb girl
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Just thought I'd pass along a heads up. On another forum (homesteading today) a discussion came up concerning the availability this year of seeds. There were many crop failures last year due to weather conditions and that along with the many, many people starting new gardens (due to the economy)-all adds up to the possibility of seed shortages.

So don't delay, order your seeds asap!

JudyH
12-08-2008, 06:46 AM
I can't wait to get the seed catalogs in the mail this year. I really look forward to them when they start arriving in my mailbox after Christmas. I have a pretty good stash of seeds in the refrig but there are a couple of things I am running low on... and of course, there's more veggies that I want to try this Spring too....

I will definitely be ordering early this year. I agree with you completely. I think we'll see many more people starting home gardens this year due to the economy. I am so glad that mine is already going and set up. I still have plans to expand but don't know if we'll do that this coming year or next. Plus, I want to get my chickens this Spring and start preparing for my mini-orchard :)

Oh something else I wanted to add.... remember that you can save left over seeds from year to year too. So, if you buy more than you usually do this coming Spring, you can always store them in the refrig. Most will last for several years! And don't forget about seed swapping too! I have been able to find many varieties that I wanted to try by swapping with other gardening buddies online.

Katoyia
12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Some of the seed companies already have their seeds available online for purchase, such as fedco seeds, and they begin shipping in jan. I've already gotten all the seeds that I am gonna buy and am now interested in trading. There are not many people here that are gardening, but I can here the talk of a food scare here. I think local farming will be a big hit this upcoming year.

Garden Green
12-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree with Judy about seed swapping. I've been doing a lot of that here in the past few days and I've got seeds coming out of my ears. It takes time and research but you build a good network so if something does come up short, you can always hit up those that you've successfully traded with before.

Ahh, the generosity of the gardener.