PDA

View Full Version : Winter Gardening

Jeff
09-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Hi Patti and everyone.
I'm just wondering if you have any suggestions for winter gardening and/or is there anything you would suggest growing indoors through the winter?
I live in Louisville Kentucky.

Thanks

Jeff

gardengirl72
09-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I would stick to out door growing. There are lots of cold hardy crops out there, like Corn Salad Lettuce, Kale, and Broccoli. There is still time to get a decent crop in, if you set up some cold frames or season extenders for later in the season.

Yomolove
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Patti also I wondered do I have to do much to the compost bin this winter?

reneec83
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I have a question....how should I winter my strawberry pot? Do I bring it in and keep it in a cool dark spot, do I water..what do I do? Also is there anyway to keep containers from freezing so that I could keep some winter ornamentals out like heather, ice pansies and such????
Thanks
Renee

plantoneonme
09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Look for a book called Four Season Gardening (I think or something very close). It has lots of information of what and how to grow throughout the winter. Also check out this forum: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/fourseason/

I have also been very successful growing leaf lettuce and spinach until after Christmas simply by taking one of these semi clear storage boxes and placing them upside down over the plants. I had one with a large piece of the corner missing which made for some good ventilation. I covered the hole with duct tape when the temps were very low. I was able to harvest the greens until the temps got and stayed below zero...I bet if I was smart and covered them with blankets in the really cold weather, I may have been able to save the plants longer.

gardengirl72
09-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Eliot Coleman is a hero of mine. You can see his book on My Library page as well.

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I realize that Kentucky and Washington State are different climates, but on top of lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower, I'm growing the root crops under hoop covers as well. It is my understanding that I can grow all winter here. You may need better insulation from a coldframe.

For my compost bin, I'm just covering it to keep all our rain off it. About the worst I can see happening is it freezes and you have to thaw it in spring to use it. You may be able to store some in bags or containers in a shed if freezing is a concern.

Good luck, I'm especially excited about winter gardening!