PDA

View Full Version : MAD CITY CHICKENS.... a documentary YOU must see! (">

Fred's Fine Fowl
12-08-2008, 11:13 AM
This is a feature length documentary about those who raise chickens in the city.

Sound familiar? If you have the least bit of interest in what's going on in the world of city dwelling chicken folk, then this documentary is for YOU!

It's just made the film festival circuit and is being released in 2009 on DVD.

See some short video out-takes and teasers at:

http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/madcitychickens.html

If you've already seen this documentary, please take a moment to share your thoughts here. When it releases early in 2009 on DVD, I hope everyone will buy a copy and add it to their personal collection of fascinating documentaries.

Thanks!

Fred

of Fred's Fine Fowl
www.FredsFineFowl.com

plantoneonme
12-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh Fred! The story of Dolly really cracked me up.

Is there a way to tell if chickens are hens or roosters when they are still very tiny? I want to try a couple chickens but only want 2 hens. Kim

Fred's Fine Fowl
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Well,

You can sex a chick as a day old... takes some real practice though and you have to give them a little squeeze to get their organs to invert and become visible... they also eliminate (poo) during this procedure...

Some breeds can be feather sexed... short broad even wing primary feathers (female) and Long and short/narrow alternating feathers... male... but this is only true of some specific breeds.

There are also actual sex link chicks... you can tell from a spot on their head... look up "sex links" this is of course another particular breed... hybrid.

If you can wait until they are several weeks old, you can have great success simply noticing the bright comb color on the male first (female remains relatively pale) and also waddles are larger sooner on males.

Some breeds are easier than others, so it all depends. If you are buying in chicks, simply request only hens/pullets.

Bantams will normally only come straight run (male/female mixed), but large standard fowl can be sexed and sold as pullets or cockerels.

Thanks for your question!

Fred

plantoneonme
12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Fred, I was thinking about a couple of the chickens that lay the colored eggs...sorry do not remember the name but it starts with an A. How is the temperment on these birds and how large do they get? Are they good layers? I want to learn as much as possible so I will be a good bird owner when the time comes.

Kim

gardengirl72
12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Those are the birds I raise, the Auracan (sp?). My favorites. Very primal though. Some breeds seem more like Jungle Fowl then chickens. These are very wild looking and acting birds.

I love them.

plantoneonme
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Those are the birds I raise, the Auracan (sp?). My favorites. Very primal though. Some breeds seem more like Jungle Fowl then chickens. These are very wild looking and acting birds.

I love them.

So I assume not something a 4 year old could hold? If this is the case then I think bantams will be better.

Fred's Fine Fowl
12-08-2008, 10:25 PM
There are actually two popular varieties of chickens, which lay the colored eggs... normally a blue, pinkish/brown or often somewhat olive green...

The Ameraucana.... is one you most often see around here (I have around 30 of them) they have full tails and are considered large standard birds... very hearty and good egg layers during warmer months....

The Araucana originated in South America and is more rarely seen in this country.. They get their names from the Araucana Indians somewhere around central Chile... They are very unique in appearance and you'll know the true Araucanas by the fact that they have no tail.. male nor female... truly rumpless... in fact, if you pick one up and examine it.. there is no tail period, no coccyx.. it's missing altogether! They are the eldest of the two in this country...

The Araucana's were brought here in the 1930's and bred to our standards...

The Ameraucana is new by chicken breed standards and was developed right here in the good ol USA in the 1970's... as you might guess, derived from the Araucana.... only it has a tail, is heavier (better for meat) and has a beard and muff instead of the original Araucana's big snazzy ear tufts.

Soooo, if you want a small easter egg chicken, get the true Araucana (rumpless, big ear tufts).... would be great for your four year old.

Ok? Hope I didn't bore anyone!

Night all,
Fred

plantoneonme
12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Oh Fred, you are never boring! I love reading all the information you have to offer. I am going to have to see if there is somewhere local I can pick up a couple hens. Do you think pullets are a good choice since I am hoping to only start with 2 hens? How much space does each hen need. I want to build a chicken tractor but not 4'x8'. I was thinking of 4'x4' or 2'x4' for 2 hens. Thanks so much for the great information. Kim

Fred's Fine Fowl
12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
If you are going to keep the chickens enclosed.. and I assume you are,

Then 4 sq. ft. per large standard chicken is the norm.

Soooo, your 4x4 enclosure could provide easily for your two hens/pullets.

Up to 4 full sized birds, as 4x4 is 16 sq. ft.

Thanks for saying I don't bore you :} I actually had a teacher come up to me in the teacher lounge/dining area... and offer to pay me not to talk about chickens today.. I was sitting with Master Breeder/exhibitor, A.P.A. Hall of Fame Member Curtis Oakes.. we both looked at each other, laughed, and said.. there just isn't enough money for that request to be fulfilled (">

Curtis Teaches Culinary Arts.... but doesn't eat eggs and never eats his own chickens. Just thought I'd throw that out there... he's the guy on my video, in the experts section... he's obsessed.

plantoneonme
12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I can relate to people not wanting to hear me talk...I often see the glazed over eyes when I start talking about my gardens. But watch out when those of us who like gardening get togther...I think we put others into a coma LOL.

Fred based on your extensive experience with chickens, would you recommend the Araucana or bantam chickens for a first chicken for myself and a 4 year old? How much space does a bantam need in comparison the a "full size" chicken?

Thanks again for all the excellent information. Kim

Fred's Fine Fowl
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok, well, if you were to call me and simply say "Fred please bring chickens for my child"... here is what I'd get for you...

It's not just the physical size, so much as disposition.. gentle, nervous, calm, flight capable and so on...

For your young one, I would go with Cochin Bantams, or Silkies (coloration is not important.

The silkies are quiet, calm and easily trained/adapted for much handling and pet experience. Their soft unique fur-like feathers make them a favorite with every child I've known...

The bantam (miniature) Cochins are feathered puff balls.. with feathered legs and feet. They are gentle and friendly to a fault... always underfoot at feeding time. Again though, they are fun to hold, as they are so liberally feathered, they make a perfect pet.

These smalll chickens can go with 3 sq. ft. each and actually roam around much less than say a Rhode Island Red, or Leghorn would.

However, I have to mention, that their feathered feet do make them less effective as garden workers. For that purpose, you'd want a clean legged variety.

If that's the case, then Bantam Rhode Island Reds are tight feathered, very friendly also and will work your soil. Bantams eat half the feed that their full sized versions do, if that much. So they are less expensive all around.

Egg production would be higher with the Rhode Island Red, Silkies and Cochins may be more apt to go broody, but you will just love them!

The Cochins are very cold hearty, if that's an issue.

plantoneonme
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Thank you so much Fred, this is exactly the information I needed. And by the way if you happen to ever come to Detroit...would you bring me a chicken LOL. Thanks again, Kim

gardengirl72
12-12-2008, 12:29 PM
My silkie bantams are great and completely trained. Thanks Fred.