PDA

View Full Version : Window Herb Garden...questions

KalenaPlants
12-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I have also tried growing some herbs on my kitchen window sill. A few weeks ago, I bought these organic basil, thyme, and curly parsley plants from Whole Foods in their produce section. I said, "Oh fun! I can transplant them and see how things work."

Good news: They're still alive. In fact, I used a few sprigs of thyme in this week's ciopinno (my attempt at a fish soup). Turned out really well. The fam was diggin' it.

Bad news: A couple of the leaves toward the ends are turning a little black on my basil. My parsley leaves toward the base of the plant are turning yellow. The thyme leaves are beginning to be spotted here and there with brown leaves.

Diagnosis, thoughts, questions, anyone?

Sinfonian
12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I tried taking a sprig of basil and putting it in water until it sprouted roots, then transplanting it in the garden. Mine turned black and died, all four of them. Not sure if I did something wrong or it was the basil. Sounds like the problem you're having. Not much help, but at least it's a common occurance.

gardengirl72
12-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Sounds lack the plants need to be transplanted an in a more sunlight. I hope that helps.

Garden Green
12-12-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree, sounds like you need a south facing window. If you don't have one, you may want to consider supplementing with a flo tube.

MoniDew
12-12-2008, 11:12 PM
check that window for drafts, too! My house can get so cold that ice dams form on the window sills.

and basil likes it warm!

plantoneonme
12-13-2008, 06:30 AM
The window itself could be too cold. Also did you water them recently and did they drain properly? Many people tend to overwater houseplants in the winter. I bring in my herbs during the autumn for winter use and a lot of times the old growth dies off but he plant is still healthy and will grow new leaves. The old growth doesn't always like the climate changes.

KalenaPlants
12-13-2008, 01:55 PM
I've been trying to upload pictures of them, but I can't resize them small enough to work in this forum. I'm still trying though.

As far as drainage, I'm good on it. The window sill they're sitting in is south-facing, but it has been getting below freezing down here in the A and during the day, it barely averages above 45 degrees or so. So maybe the window being cold IS the culprit here. I'll move them to another place that sits further away from the window and I'll see how that goes.

Thank you all!