PDA

View Full Version : Carrots

ecogirl
12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
When I grow carrots, how come they always grow so mini?! Ive been trying to grow larger ones. Can someone help!:confused:

Garden Green
12-12-2008, 07:59 PM
It could be a couple of different things. If they are too close together, they will be smaller. How did the tops look? Did you have a lot of top growth but little root growth? If that is the case, then it is too much nitrogen.

Hope this helps!

ecogirl
12-13-2008, 04:08 AM
It could be a couple of different things. If they are too close together, they will be smaller. How did the tops look? Did you have a lot of top growth but little root growth? If that is the case, then it is too much nitrogen.

Hope this helps!
I think I might be planting them too close together! My bad! The roots are quite small and the eaves at the top are quite small. But how do I reduce nitrogen?

plantoneonme
12-13-2008, 06:32 AM
Don't plant carrots in soil that has recently been fertilized or has a lot of fresh manure to reduce top growth only. The soil also has to be very light, fluffy and easy for the roots to penetrate. I planted some carrots in just sos so soil and some in a place where I mixed in a lot of vermiculite and some sand...needless to say the difference was incredible.