PDA

View Full Version : She tried to hatch what? A true story

rosemom
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
We have turned the chickens and ducks out into the yard for the winter. They are doing a bang up job of getting rid of the remains of the vegie garden. I noticed one hen had made a little hole in the dirt under a frosted, dead tomatoe plant and she laid an egg there every day. Yesterday morning I go out to snatch her egg and low and behold she had found a green, frosted roma tomato and had dilligently worked until she had rolled it into her nest - Yep, she was sitting on the tomatoe along with her daily egg.

MoniDew
12-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Ahahahahaha!

gardengirl72
12-18-2008, 05:57 PM
What a silly girl! Dedicated too! A credit to the flock.

plantoneonme
12-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Ah so cute! Dh got a lot of golf balls last spring from a goose at the course...guess she didn't want to lay her own. One day he thinks she got tired and waddled away...he got over a dozen balls she collected.

Kim

gardengirl72
12-27-2008, 06:48 PM
I've got the flock out in my main garden as well. They really seem happy. It is such a beautiful thing to see them out and about.

rosemom
12-28-2008, 08:57 AM
I do feed them cicken food but they usually take just a bite or two and return to the yard. Leaves to digunder, mulch to dig in and dust baths to take. So much for DH raking up all the leaves into nice piles - they have had worlds of fun scattering those neat piles about.