PDA

View Full Version : My composter

rdsaltpower
09-06-2008, 11:15 PM
I currently have a small 4'x4' steel mesh compost bin set up on cinder blocks. I am going to build a larger one from a roll of wire like the one Patti shows in her video. Then I will toss in my garden waste and leaves this fall. Hopefully I will have some good compost to use next spring since I will be doubling the size of my garden.

gardengirl72
09-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Lately I have been gathering leaves and compostables from my neighbors, and have expanded my composting endeavors. I favor a bunch of smaller piles, near where I will need it. It seems like less work overall, rather than having one big pile.

Backyard Permaculture
09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Join your local FREECYCLE (http://www.freecycle.org/) network, and offer to be a FREE DUMP place for raked up leaves and grass clippings. That way they do the work, and bring them to you.

Ron

plantoneonme
09-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Ron this is an excellent idea!

Only problem in my area the city picks them up at the curb and I am afraid people are too lazy to bring them to me. I did get a few of my neighbors to drop theirs at my house...I guess sharing those tomatoes really helps LOL. My plan was to drive around the neighborhood on trash night and collect them myself but I am having surgery in October and won't be able to lift anything for 8 weeks. Guess I'll have to plan on next year for a huge bounty of leaves.

Kim

Backyard Permaculture
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
If you haven't tried Freecycle before, you might be surprised at the way many freecyclers are very accomadating people. Many will bring them to you.

Other sources of compostable, contact your city's maintenance Dept, ask them for trimmings. Also check with local landscape maintenance companies. They have to pay to dispose of what they have cleaned up. You would be doing them and yourself a favor

rdsaltpower
09-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I have recently added two wire mesh compost bins measuring about 36" diameter by 48" tall . I am planning on doubling my garden next year and the soil is clay dirt. I will need all the compost I can make. I am composting veggie scraps, leaves, newspapers, weeds, tioliet paper and paper towel rolls etc. Hope to have enough by spring.

Yomolove
10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I just found a stash of organic matter, I have been in the same place for 6 years and just started gardening 1st garden this summer 08. I completely forgot about all the leaves I have raked every year in the back yard and side yard... into piles. The garden is situated in the back of the house, I was turning the back breaking beds over to ready them for winter and wigglers... Now all I needed was organic matter??? not many leaves yet....when it hit me.... you have tons of leaves on the side of the barn.... right next to your garden, literally.

Joy came over me. I didnt have to travel the yard. :)

It is so perfectly composted... I only wish I remembered when I started. Oh well... we have next summer.

Sinfonian
10-09-2008, 02:34 AM
I have two 5x5x3 compost bins adjacent to each other. Unfortunately this summer I've mowed less than ever in my life, so the additions have mostly been Starbuck's grounds and shredded bills. Oh and always the kitchen compost to add. Boy does it shrink down fast!