PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Essex England

Richard
12-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say what an inspirational website. Well done Patti.

I've been growing fruit and vegetables for several years both at home and in our community allotments. I also work in gardening, managing the organic kitchen gardens of an Italian cookery school nearby.

I've still got planty to learn and I am really interested in the rotation of poultry on the raised bed system. I have used raised beds a lot and would like to incorporate chickens in the system. I've just got to convince my wife that they won't smell too badly!

rosemom
12-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Welcome. We have 9 hens (Rhode Island Reds) and Big Red - their man; 9 ducks and 4 bantam chickens - and they don't smell at all but of course they range fairly freely. Of course we have an acre so they can spread out - get a few birds - they are so cute when they are little that your wife will fall for them. Then slip in a few more depending on the size of the area you have for them. THEY DON'T SMELL but they can be noisy. No matter what anyone says, Roosters are noisy and ducks are even noiser

gardengirl72
12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Great to have you here. Raising chickens is really fun. As long as you don't have too many you should be fine with keeping any smells down. I like the bantams because they are easier to handle. They are the size of a pigeon and lay smaller eggs. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Richard
12-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Do you work any particular rotation after you move your chickens round?

gardengirl72
12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
If you have one cage and 4 raised beds you keep them on one raided bed for one month. That way you can plant in each for 3 months. This varies on your growing season and how many chickens you have. The few you have the more time they can spend in one raised bed. Every few days or so give them a bedding of hay. This will keep any smell down. When you're ready to move it to a harvested bed you can turn the bed they were just in and plant or leave it fallow if you are not in the growing season. Keep us posted!

plantoneonme
12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome Richard. I bet you have some great recipes to share. Kim