PDA

View Full Version : New Things to Grow next spring...

gardengirl72
12-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Over the next few months all gardeners are figuring out what to grow in their garden next spring. Now is a great time to try new recipes and new vegetables and consider growing new things. Some new things I want to try are shallots, purple & blue potatoes (I'm working on a new method), & hazelnut.

plantoneonme
12-22-2008, 01:04 PM
I received quite a few new to me seeds to grow this year from a Secret Santa swap I belonged to. I will be trying...

asparagus from seed
red rock mammoth cabbage
kohlrabi
rainbow carrots...carrots are not new just the colored ones
a few different heirloom tomatoes
alpine strawberries, from seed
celery
leeks
many different types of lettuces

I can tell winter is getting to me already as I want to plant so much and know how much work is ahead of me making some new beds next spring. I've been filling up the composters in anticipation of growing some new garden beds next spring.

Kim

HomesteadBaker
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Over the next few months all gardeners are figuring out what to grow in their garden next spring. Now is a great time to try new recipes and new vegetables and consider growing new things. Some new things I want to try are shallots, purple & blue potatoes (I'm working on a new method), & hazelnut.
I planted a purple fingerling potato from Fedco a few times.... makes for really wild mashed potatoes! (Tasty, too!)

I think this year's investment in sustainable food growing will be blueberries. I am considering "Patriot", "Northland", and "Blueray" varieties... anyone grow any of these?

Garden Green
12-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm totally consumed with jealousy! I'm going to be moving in the spring so I won't have a garden this year because we'll be moving again once we find a house to buy after the move. I'll be lucky to be able to grow my kitchen herbs. What an upset! But I'm certainly looking forward to learning from the new things you all grow.

Good luck!

gardengirl72
12-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I also want to grow hops. Its a fast growing vine where the flowers are used to make beer(of course). Stevia, which is an herb and natural sweetener.

shebear
12-24-2008, 12:43 AM
I want to plant sweet potatoes. That's one veggie I've never seen grown. I'm also growing more leeks this year.......those are awesome fresh. We're going to grow the three sisters in our community garden so our Junior Master Gardeners can see how that works. They are also going to get a tiered strawberry bed and two beds for blackberries.

JudyH
12-27-2008, 12:58 AM
I received quite a few new to me seeds to grow this year from a Secret Santa swap I belonged to. I will be trying...

kohlrabi
Kim

Kim, I'm growing this now and it's really doing pretty well in the garden. Here's a pic that I took this afternoon of one of the plants:

http://ft2garden.powweb.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/kohlrabi-small-224x300.gif

The only problem that I'm having is something is putting holes in the leaves. I've looked and looked for the "BUG" but haven't found it yet! :confused: But it's not bothering the part of the plant that I plan on eating so....

This is the first time that I've grown kohlrabi. As a matter of fact, I've never even tasted it LOL :D But I read that it has a taste similar to broccoli so I think I'll like it.

JudyH
12-27-2008, 01:01 AM
I also want to grow ....Stevia, which is an herb and natural sweetener.

I purchased a plant at a local home improvement store (I believe it was Home Depot) and transplanted into the garden this past spring. It's still trying to grow! Mine got huge.... I picked leaves off and then put them in the dehydrator. Now they are in ziplock bags. For me, this was a plant that I just put in the ground and that was it! It was very easy to grow.

plantoneonme
12-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Kim, I'm growing this now and it's really doing pretty well in the garden. Here's a pic that I took this afternoon of one of the plants:

http://ft2garden.powweb.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/kohlrabi-small-224x300.gif

The only problem that I'm having is something is putting holes in the leaves. I've looked and looked for the "BUG" but haven't found it yet! :confused: But it's not bothering the part of the plant that I plan on eating so....

This is the first time that I've grown kohlrabi. As a matter of fact, I've never even tasted it LOL :D But I read that it has a taste similar to broccoli so I think I'll like it.

Great little kohlrabi there! You can eat it from this size and a little larger. If you let it get too big it gets woody and not at all pleasant to eat. I peel, slice and eat raw. I hear you can cook them but I prefer raw....as I do most of my veggies. The taste is much like a mild broccoli or cabbage. I love them! There is also a purple variety which is fun to eat.

Kim

gardengirl72
12-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the stevia tip. Now that's the kind of plant I like! the kohlrabi looks great and at an edible stage. Congrats