PDA

View Full Version : Organizing your seeds

new500
12-26-2008, 02:57 PM
How do you organize your seeds and does anyone have pictures of how they do it. I have seeds all over the place. I need to keep them organized. HELP!

JudyH
12-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't have a highly "fashionable" system for seed organization LOL But, it works well for me :D My system is quite simple and keeps my seeds safe, dry and cool.

I use the 1 gallon FREEZER Ziplock bags. They are super strong and have a great zipper to squeeze out the air and keep the seeds dry. I store all of my seeds in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator (this is the one drawer that nothing but seeds go in). I have several bags:

herbs
flowers
corn
beans
cold weather veggies
warm weather veggies

When I need to go through a bag of seeds, I just pull the bag out that I need, set it on the counter and let it warm up to room temperature (usually a couple of hours) and then open it and get out what I need or put new seeds back in and then squish the air out, seal the freezer bag and back it goes into the bottom drawer of the refrigerator.

Hope this helps. Like I said, it's not a "fashionable" method, but it works for me :D

plantoneonme
12-27-2008, 04:37 AM
I do the zipper bags also. I like things in smaller bags such as the brassicas, tomatoes, spring crops (lettuces, spinach, peas) etc. They all then go into a gallon bag in the fridge.

Kim

Garden Green
12-27-2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.gardengirltv.com/messageboard/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=137

I'm a fan of zip locks, too. I use the little ones mainly or seed envelopes that I either printed myself or the seeds came in. I keep them in this mini ice chest that my husband used to use as a lunch box. I use the alphabetical cards to help keep the jumble of different seeds straight. On the left I have seeds that are in packages too large to fit comfortably in the card file or they are waiting to be repackaged into something better, like a zip lock or one of the envelopes I have printed so I can move them over to the card file.

Keeps everything at the same temp within reason and is away from the hazards that lurk in my kitchen and fridge. Like my son dumping a full container of kool-aid from the top shelf all over everything in the fridge. That was a sticky mess and the inside will never be white again! :D

I'm thinking of creating a second level so that I can separate the non-edible plants from the vegetables and herbs. I certainly have enough room to do that. Right now flowers and vines mingle with vegetables and culinary herbs. And as I seed swap and buy more, that is going to become a problem.

Katoyia
12-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I have all of my seeds in a plastic storage bin. They are kept in abc order and i keep them in the packets inside of sandwich baggies that zip. The ones that can't fit in there are kept in glass jars.

gardengirl72
12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Glass jars are a great idea. i use sandwich bags and group them by type and store them in a galvanized bin.

maricybele
01-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I use file folders that I tape the sides of and then put the seed packages into.
I first used a file carrier than switched to a plastic bankers box file.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/maricybele/IMG_5524-Copy.jpg

CmoreROOTS
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I have not started saving seeds yet but I made a gardening can for my niece. I made a custom label for a Tin Can with a handle. The label has a bunch of different Gardening girls, potting soil, wheelbarrow butterflies, ladybugs and a custom sign "Carol's Vegetable Garden". I made custom round labels for the little rounds clear containers, I decorated plastic plant markers showing the vegetable, I added garden glovesfor niece and her almost 3 yr old daughter. They will LOVE IT!

nandmsmom
07-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Mine are all in zip top sandwich bags as well. They are all in families like brassicas, legumes, tomatoes etc. They all then go into a shoe box. If it is a seed that I saved, the bag is labeled with the type and the year it was saved.

Ozark Homesteader
07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I have separated mine into cool and warm weather packs and herbs, flowers, etc. I use plastic file folders to hold them. Mine cost $1 each at Target, and they have dividers. I sort alphabetically by group and use rubber bands to keep the accordian folders closed, as they are pretty full.

James
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Want to laugh, I keep mine in the freezer, ,the funny side is theres not much room for food. All of mine are in glass jars also, quite A bit is seed I raised, I do use the store bought seeds too. And I keep the labels in the jars too. Last count was over 35 types of seeds.

Cynthia
07-26-2009, 08:04 PM
I really appreciate everyone posting photos - very helpful and creative ways to store your seeds.