PDA

View Full Version : Wanted; Salad dressing recipes

Kevin
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi , Have any of you got a good recipe For homemade French or Ranch dressing ? I have tried numerous recipes and can't seem to find a good one for either. It just doesn't make sense to take the time to grow a wonderful organic salad and ruin it with storebought (WAlMart) dressing. Thanks, Kevin

rosemom
12-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Ranch style dressing mix.

1/8 t. garlic powder
1/2 t pepper
1/2 5 onion powder
1/2 t minced onion
1/2 t accent
1/2 t dried parsley
1 cup mayo
1 cup buttermilk

Kevin
12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks rosemom, I just whipped up a batch of this . very tasty.. I tried it with the msg (accent) and without. Both are very good. Thanks we'll eat this tonight on a nice cut and come again salad.

Garden Green
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
French Salad Dressing Recipe

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups olive oil
4 garlic cloves, halved
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
dash ground cayenne
1/3 cup chili sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
2 or 3 teaspoons horseradish, if desired

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients in a large jar. Cover and shake until well blended. Store in refrigerator. Makes 2 cups of French dressing.

This is a pretty good one. I'm more partial to Catalina myself.

Kevin
12-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you Gardengreen , I will definitely try this one

plantoneonme
12-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Anyone have a good low fat Italian dressing? Ingredients with both fresh and dried herbs would be great (as in if I don't have fresh the dry substitutions). Would frozen herbs work also?

Kim

MoniDew
01-01-2009, 12:24 PM
This is my own invention and I love it on everything (baked potatoes, green beans, grilled meats, and salad) Hope everyone here enjoys it as much as I do!

Note: Tahini is ground sesame seeds, like peanut butter is ground peanuts. You can find tahini at health food stores, ethnic markets, and larger grocery stores. It comes in both raw and roasted. I prefer raw - as roasted can have an "off" taste.

Lemon Tahini Dressing

Juice of 1 organic, juicy lemon
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic, pressed or minced
2 T raw sesame tahini
1 t dry oregano, rubbed between the palms and sifted out through fingers
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients (by hand with a whip or fork, or in a blender or food processor) and enjoy. Makes approx 1 cup. Refrigerate any leftovers. Simple, huh?

Garden Green
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Anyone have a good low fat Italian dressing? Ingredients with both fresh and dried herbs would be great (as in if I don't have fresh the dry substitutions). Would frozen herbs work also?

Kim

5 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, paprika, ground mustard and dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

Directions:
In a jar with a tight-fitting led, combine all ingredients. Chill several hours or overnight. Shake well before serving. Yield: 3/4 cup.

There are just a ton of variations. Add bell pepper and lemon zest. Use white wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar. It would just depend on your tastes. You could add frozen herbs that have been thawed but it is probably best to stick with dried. You don't want to add too much "water" to this or it probably wouldn't work out well. Plus the dried herbs are going to slowly release flavor and take in flavor as the same time as they hydrate and I don't think you would get the same thing from fresh or thawed herbs. If you do decide to make it with fresh or your newly thawed herbs, do let us know how it works out.

plantoneonme
01-04-2009, 09:06 AM
5 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, paprika, ground mustard and dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

Directions:
In a jar with a tight-fitting led, combine all ingredients. Chill several hours or overnight. Shake well before serving. Yield: 3/4 cup.

There are just a ton of variations. Add bell pepper and lemon zest. Use white wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar. It would just depend on your tastes. You could add frozen herbs that have been thawed but it is probably best to stick with dried. You don't want to add too much "water" to this or it probably wouldn't work out well. Plus the dried herbs are going to slowly release flavor and take in flavor as the same time as they hydrate and I don't think you would get the same thing from fresh or thawed herbs. If you do decide to make it with fresh or your newly thawed herbs, do let us know how it works out.

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a try. Kim

anotherposter
04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Low Fat Salad Dressing

* Blue Cheese Dressing
* Dressing
* Eating Well Mayonnaise
* Ginger Orange Dressing
* Honey Mustard Dressing
* Italian Dressing
* Lean Sour Cream
* Lemon Herb Seasoning
* Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
* Mock Sour Cream
* Russian Dressing
* Seafood Salad Dressing
* Tofu Mayonnaise
* Ww Ranch Dressing Mix

Source: http://www.salad-recipe.net/recipes/salad-dressings.html

redhead5318
09-17-2009, 07:21 PM
crazy easy vinagrette, this is nearly cheating:

two parts olive oil
one part lemon juice or balsamic vineagar
pinch sugar
pinch salt
snazz up with some herbs de provence if you want.