PDA

View Full Version : Near Chicago

lin_e65
12-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Hello all,
I'm from the western burbs of Chicago. I was very much into gardening and sustainability when I was in my 20s and 30s. A full time job and kids took away the garden and all the other things I used to get pleasure from. I've decided that all work and no pleasure is not a happy way of living. I have two raised beds that I put in last year and I'm planning on getting a community garden plot this summer to raise lots of stuff.

This past fall, I had noticed an apple tree near work that had been there for years. This year it produced the largest apples! Boy, were they tart. By September, I had picked a bushel full and made the best applesauce, canning about 18 pints. I even remembered how to can! We're still eating the "sauce". That's what I plan on doing with this summer's bounty-can, freeze and dry.

Just finished reading Barbara Kingsolvers, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and I'm going to try to eat more locally. What an eye opening book!I][/I][/I]

Sinfonian
12-31-2008, 02:25 AM
Welcome, great to have you here. I too started my garden because I needed SOMETHING to do for pleasure, and wanted to kill multiple birds with that stone...

KalenaPlants
12-31-2008, 03:28 AM
Just finished reading Barbara Kingsolvers, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and I'm going to try to eat more locally. What an eye opening book!I][/I][/I][/QUOTE]

Welcome! Speaking of this book, my best friend bought this for me for Christmas. I LOVE IT SO FAR!! It's got me thinking completely opposite of what I've been taught as far as food associations go. Wonderful read, I agree. In fact, as soon as I finish my last minute web-surfing on this site, I'm going back to get a few last pages in before I conk out for the night/morning.

BTW, Happy New Year!

rosemom
12-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Welcome. Wejust got that book but haven't read it yet. DH lived in Chicago in his teens but I am converting him to a Texan. Welcome

plantoneonme
12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
I have a tiny yard and will never grow fruit trees...I forage for them throughout my neighborhood. I find them on walks and got up the nerve to ask a couple neighbors if I could clean up their drops. I made a couple new friends and got some free produce...the elderly neighbors got a yard cleaning for free (both paid a landscaper before to clean up) and some applesauce.

Another place to offer to clean up is on Craigslist or freecycle. I did garden clean up in the fall...they got a clean garden and I got bags of free produce.

Welcome, Kim