PDA

View Full Version : To Turn or Not to Turn

Cynthia
09-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I have always heard that we should turn our compost piles.

Very recently, a local expert - and he really is an expert - said that not turning compost was better for microfungal development.

anyone have any input on this? I haven't turned my pile since July although I did add some molasses to help break down the leaves.

Ani
09-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Do you know what his goal for the not-turned pile was? From experience I can say that the more frequently you turn, the faster your compost composts. I wonder if he believes there is a difference in the final product? That is interesting. I'd like to see more information on this - Patti, you got anything?

Cynthia
09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I believe his point was that in making compost more quickly, by turning, you cut down the amount of beneficial fungi in the soil. So, even though it is slower than regularly turning a compost pile, the end result was better compost.

I have always turned my compost, but was willing to give this a try to see how it goes. I am interested too in composting directly into an unused veg bed this winter.

gardengirl72
09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Honestly, I rarely turn my compost. I only turn it when I am about to put it into the garden bed. I wasn't doing it for any other reason then I am in no hurry to use it. I usually let it sit and cook six months to a year, and then I just work it into the soil where I am growing.

Lately I have been making small piles all over the place. That way I don't have to move it around or anything. But having said all that, I think my stuff breaks down really fast because I have thousands of worms everywhere, which rapidly increases the speed of decomposition.

Its all about the Red Wiggler.

Cynthia
09-07-2008, 06:48 PM
So far, I like this new "no work" method of composting.

I do need some earthworms though, I think i had a few when I made the beds -
cynthia - who is wondering if there is an earthworms.com that delivers..

gardengirl72
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I got my worms from capecodwormfarm.com I thing.They come in the mail!

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 04:00 AM
I believe that red wrigglers are also sold as bait--any store that sells fishing supplies should have some in the little fridge next to the counter.

Just in case you're into the closer-to-instant gratification of going out and bringing them home with you!

Cynthia
09-08-2008, 01:35 PM
yes I love instant gratification :) I did find some sites who can get me some worms this week. Now I just have to decide how many I need and/or want.

RedStateGreen
09-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I use a wire mesh compost bin, so it's difficult to 'turn'. So I got this thing called an aerator that you stab into the center of the pile. Very therapeutic. ;)

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I use a wire mesh compost bin, so it's difficult to 'turn'. So I got this thing called an aerator that you stab into the center of the pile. Very therapeutic. ;)

Ooooo....that sounds fun....."Honey, I'm gonna go turn the compost...." ... "But you just turned it this morning!" ... "That was BEFORE you 'helped' with the laundry!!".......

gardengirl72
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I saw a tool called a compost crank. But, for me, let the worms do the work. Not fast enough? Get more worms. I read somewhere that two pounds of worms can compost one pound of matter in something like two days.

Backyard Permaculture
09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Elliot Coleman waits two years before using his compost.

Ron