PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater softshell turtles

Kevin
12-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Heres an Aquaculture candidate you all may have overlooked . I have never farmed them myself but I can tell you this. Every year as a commercial fisherman I sell a number of large live softshell turtles to asian aquaculture companies . they use them as breeding stock. Obviously they can be farmed (probably in pond culture). What I can tell you from experience is this. Us rednecks down here don't call them river chickens for nothing . they are extremely tasty to say the least.

gardengirl72
01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for posting Kevin. This is something near and dear to my heart. I never thought about turtle being edible.

Does it really taste like chicken? How fast to the reproduce and how long does it take them to grow to an edible weight.

This is facinating.

Kevin
01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks for posting Kevin. This is something near and dear to my heart. I never thought about turtle being edible.

Does it really taste like chicken? How fast to the reproduce and how long does it take them to grow to an edible weight.

This is facinating. Patti, These turtles taste exactly like dark meat chicken( not like a gator that has a slight fishy taste).If you like ,arroz con pollo, this is the critter of choice. That's how we eat it. As far as growth rates are concerned ,I don't know. Like I said I haven't actually farmed them ,and unfortunately the asian business men I have dealt with, are, export brokers ,not farmers .I get the impression ,from them, that they are raised for a source of fresh turtle eggs and for meat. If I find any more info on this I will repost it here . Kevin,