PDA

View Full Version : Hi from SF Bay!

jasfairfax
01-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Dear Patti,
Wow, really enjoy your website! it has been an inspiration. I live in a small pink cottage on the side of Mt. Tamalpais in Fairfax, CA. My acre has been basically just tree covered for decades and it is on a 40 degree slope! However, I am now inspired to add some chickens and try to produce a substaintial fraction of my veggies. I have been vegetarian for some time mainly for ethical reasons (See writings of Peter Singer) but now feel I can go back to eating chickens that I raise myself. Thank you for that...
Question: do you keep your chickens in your garden bed coop year round? There doesn't seem to be much protection from the elements.
Warm regards, John

gardengirl72
01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Welcome John, thank you for signing up here on the boards. I hope that you will share your continuing adventures in sustainable living with us all. You will be surprised how much you can grow in your climate.

My birds are given an extra tarp in the winter. They move around quite a bit on my property as well to keep fertilizing new area's even in the winter.

Chickens are very hardy birds. I would say a lot like City pidgeons. Again, welcome and thank you for signing up.

plantoneonme
01-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi John, looks like you may have to build some tiered bed for those veggies and chickens..40 degrees is quite a slope. Welcome to the group. Kim