PDA

View Full Version : Start your day old chicks NOW, here's why...

Fred's Fine Fowl
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I know you are all sketching out your garden plots and buying more seeds than you will ever use, as the thought of spring races through your organic minds...

I'd like to add one more thing, for those of you who are thinking of starting off with chickens this year.

Don't wait until spring/Easter, for your chick purchases.
Day old chicks can be started inside and kept for six weeks on average, before being moved out into a coop & run.

See an example of a simple table top brooder here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL6mC_BrsDA

If you will want chickens to work your garden(s), then you will want them to be large enough to accomplish that task in the spring.

If you want to collect cage free eggs from your birds, they do not produce until they are around 5 months of age, so birds started now, will come into lay in June.

If you have a specific breed, that you have researched and specifically want, it may sell out at the hatchery of your choice.. so, put your order in, even weeks or months ahead of time. Avoid "grab bag specials" and feed store spontaneous purchases. Get birds that are known for your desired purpose. Know something about the hatchery or breeder from which your birds will come. (vote with your almighty dollar)

This is the time, to read about chickens, study the breeds of interest to you and maybe even allow your children to do some research.

More than 66 recognized breeds out there, with over 600 types, all available with the click of your computer mouse...

Go to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy and check the list of breeders... please don't try to order from me, I'm sold out ahead of time locally.

Share your chick purchasing, sourcing and satisfaction with the stock you receive, right here... I would love to read about your experiences. Also, share the breed you selected and why?

Happy New Year,
Fred

Organic Hispanic
02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Hello Fred
I have a question on when the chicks are ready to go out of the brooder (in garage) to the outside I have 5 hens they are 5 weeks old today. The weather here is around low 40's at nite to 60's in the day. My guess would be a couple of more weeks but they are starting to fly around....so not quite sure Thanks

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your question!

Chicks are each different as to when they are "ready" for the outdoor temps and elements...

A six week old chick, in general, is ready for anything, assuming it has proper shelter to retreat into and is protected from rain or strong winds.

Watch their feathering... when the chick down is replaced by feathers, they can keep their body temps pretty good and also may shed damp weather/drizzle, ok... so at six weeks, let them go...

Watch the chicks and see if they huddle up, or roam freely in their new spaces... if they roam and seem un-phased, then everything is fine.

40 at night and 60 deg. F are ok in my book.. At night they should have a protective enclosure.

I hope this answers your question?

I hope you enjoy them (">

Fred

MamaGigi
02-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi Fred!

I have been searching for hatcheries that provide Cochin bantam chicks that will provide females. My daughter wants white or buff ones but I think the gold laced are beautiful, but we aren't picky about the color. Every one that I have found provides straight runs. As I live in a subdivision, I do not want to get into turf wars over roosters crowing (despite a neighbor who has them.) I would much rather be the kind and unobtrusive neighbor. :) I guess this thread begs 3 questions.

1) Do you or anyone else know of a company that will provide female bantam Chochin chicks?
2) If I wind up getting the straight run, how long will it take for me to find out which are roosters?
3) For those of you who are in a predicament like mine, how do you humanely resolve the rooster issue? (I hate even putting this question out here.)

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Ok, you want to know at which moment you will be able to paint your coop blue or pink?

Sexing birds, even the large standards, is not 100% and it falls to those who have been doing it for many years... still they miss a few.

Bantams are even more difficult, often you are holding a golf ball sized ball of fluff and equipped with double lenses and focused lights, at times you just can't tell... this is why bantams are always sold (if buying day olds) as straight run.

Ok, so you order the straight run chicks and you can only have the hens... poor little males are shaking in their starter crumbs as they try too appear female...

Go to your local department of agriculture via the internet.. get a phone number for the poultry/4-H division. Offer male bantams for FREE, to the 4-H kids, assuming they have a poultry division in your area?

For showmanship, kids almost always select roosters/cockerels, as they display the most fantastic feathering. You keep the hens, and get a good feeling from offering free show birds.

You can be 99.9% sure about the sex of your birds by the 6th week. Even if combs are the same size, males will have a deeper orange than do the females. In other breeds, waddles and combs will be larger earlier, in the male birds.

I don't cull my stock, as I always have a waiting list for my cast-offs. Killing off a bird that is otherwise perfectly healthy, is not something I want in my dreams... (">

Again... offer the males for FREE and you are certain to have some takers!

Another "fix" is to purchase pullets from a reputable breeder. You will pay more for them, but won't have to dispose of any males...

Another sale marking age, is known as "point-of-lay" pullets... expect to pay 5.00 to 10.00 each for those little rascals. You can get a breeder list from the ALBC or, go online and look for breeders under the NPIP....

There are codes for each breed and contact information for the breeders.

ALBC= American Live Stock Breeds Conservancy

NPIP= National Poultry Improvement Plan

Hope this information helps you out!

Sincerely,
Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Organic Hispanic
02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Hello FFF,
Thanks for your quick response. I just took them outside in thier chicken tractor & they seem to be unphased. Thanks Carlos

MamaGigi
02-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Fred,

Thank you so much! As this aspect of homemaking is foreign to me, I needed all that information. I really did not want to have to kill any bird at all. I just know that the roosters would be an EXTREMELY unwelcome addition to our neighborhood. I love the idea of offering them to the 4-H. This will definitely be our option.