PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Eggs ("> & egg labeling

Fred's Fine Fowl
01-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I've been out and about, making observations regarding what eggs are selling for and in which categories they are offered...

The all time least expensive buy in eggs, is of course the battery sourced white shelled eggs. Read this month's e-zine and you'll see that cheap, in this case, is actually expensive...

Anyway, they were selling those for $1.30 / dozen and were well stocked.

Next, they were offering brown shelled eggs, also for $1.30 / dozen and 18 count cartons were $ 2.05

A smaller section offered "Cage Free" eggs... $3.10 / dz $1.66 / half dz
It was completely empty.

Had to go to a health foods store, to find eggs labeled "free range", they were going for $4.60 / dz and were also out of stock.

I think the message is clear, people are indeed willing to pay more for eggs from birds kept and reared better.

It's also clear, that those providing cage free and free range, are not able to keep up with current demands.

Cage Free:
Doesn't mean that the diet of the birds is any better, as they may be kept inside under controlled conditions. It does mean, that the birds are free to roam and demonstrate normal behaviors, with reasonable flock densities per square foot.

Free Range:
Means that the birds are also cage free, but have access to outside spaces and may forage on paddocks of green pasture.

What Dept. of Agriculture standards must be met, in order to label eggs as "Cage Free" or "Free Range"?

Honestly... currently? NONE, it's the honor system. The USDA currently has no required standards to be met, prior to this label being placed on a carton.

Something else you should know when shopping for pricy eggs...

Keep in mind that the USDA is primarily concerned with sanitation and safe handling of eggs and egg products... Which include site, transportation and holding areas (your grocery).

What about the way your eggs are graded? You know, A, AA, and so on?
It's "voluntary"... they can put what they want on the package. Now, IF, there is an actual USDA Shield present on the package, then these size and freshness claims have been inspected and verified. No Shield.. honor system.

AA- is the best
A- is pretty darn good
B- you generally don't see on the shelf... they are used for your processed egg "products"

The grades above, have nothing to do with egg size, only egg material quality and shell quality. Poaching eggs? Get AA for sure.

What about egg sizes?

This comes down to egg weight per dozen and nothing to do with egg shape and so on, if you're checking your own eggs, do not include carton weight:

Jumbo: 30 ounces or more (my eggs are well into the JUMBO category)

Extra large: 27 ounces

Large: 24 ounces

Medium: 21 ounces

Small: 18 ounces

Peewee: 15 ounces

I've heard some people claim that you can't tell how old store eggs are? Um, this is not true.

Eggs with the USDA Shield on them, MUST display the packed date (which is well wthin 24 hours of lay)

Get out your Julian Date Calendars my friends, it's a three digit number and it's on the carton. January one is 001, last day of the year is 365, check it out and you will indeed know how long those eggs have been around.

A "sell by" or expiration "EXP" date is NOT Federally required to be on the carton, though some States may require it.

So, my underlying message here is... if you can, raise your own chickens, collect your own eggs. Orrrr, get into a partnership with someown who can raise eggs on their land and make deals to get your eggs from him/her.

SAFE foods are not always HEALTHY foods...